Super Bowl Jesus Ad funded by groups fostering "hateful Christian Nationalism"

Ohhhhh, yeah. I remember that ad. At the time, I probably didn’t realize it was associated with a religion. I just knew L. Ron Hubbard as a bad sci-fi writer then. And I don’t think the stranger aspects of Scientology (Xenu and all that stuff) were common knowledge then.

5 Likes

I’d assume that it was an unironic statement by someone who worships performative strength, like the people who paste Trump’s head onto Rambo.

3 Likes

That film was so long ago that I always hear Rimbaud in my head when someone says Rambo. Enivrer vous!

4 Likes

That is deliberate.

Morrell also felt that its pronunciation was similar to the surname of Arthur Rimbaud, the title of whose most famous work, A Season in Hell, seemed to him “an apt metaphor for the prisoner-of-war experiences that I imagined Rambo suffering”.[4] Furthermore, an Arthur J. Rambo was an actual U.S. soldier in Vietnam, but he never returned.[5]

6 Likes

I just assumed the name was an anglicisation of Rimbaud if it’s ever spelt like that in the wild.

3 Likes

If you are missing Sylvester Stallone…

1 Like

Really not (I did enjoy Rocky and Paradise Alley when I was a kid but haven’t actually seen any of the other Rocky or Rambo movies. Even as a child I noped out of that shit).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.