Conservative PAC, tied to anti-vaccine misinformation, spent $7 million on a RFK Jr. Super Bowl ad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/12/conservative-pac-tied-to-anti-vaccine-misinformation-spent-7-million-on-a-rfk-jr-super-bowl-ad.html

3 Likes

Anti-vaxx woo peddlers here, Xtian Nationalists there. Lots of money behind both Superbowl ads, all ultimately in service of Il Douche and his boss Putin. The push is on and it’s only February.

The ad itself is truly ghoulish.

16 Likes

There were two people working a Kennedy table across the street from my local farmer’s market on Sunday. Can’t be a coincidence.

They weren’t getting any takers and packed up early, I was glad to see.

15 Likes

Story updated with a noppology from RFKjr:

Lying_Cat_Saga_001

8 Likes

I saw that ad and kept waiting for the punchline.

10 Likes

Our public discourse and how it’s full of obvious and dangerous disinformation is the punchline, sadly.

15 Likes

I saw it and thought “how sad”
Trying to cash in on dead name recognition, knowing republican, democrat, or sane person will vote for him.
Just a waste of SO much money.

1 Like

We just started watching Succession, a sub plot is an idiot son from a billionaire family is convinced he’s the logical choice to be president, despite no prior accomplishments.

7 Likes

Junior or Eric?

5 Likes

Or Ivanka, or Jared… When he finally strokes they’ll all form exploratory committees before he hits the ground.

3 Likes

Wearers of a bit of tin-foil may muse that this notably foul (superbowl) ad was paid for by rich folks who want to see trump back in office. That is, promote a third party to splinter the main vote, (next prop-up to joe manchin)

A majority of the super PAC’s funds have come from businessman Timothy Mellon, who previously spent millions backing former President Donald Trump.

RFK Jr. super PAC got $5M from megadonor who had backed Trump

(one link)

4 Likes

Nothing speaks to the voters of 2024 like a crappy political ad from 60 years ago.

3 Likes

Counterpoint…

8 Likes

Except that’s not the one they chose.

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

3 Likes

And even if they had chosen the Daisy ad, it still wouldn’t speak to the existential dread that it spoke to back in the days of the Cuban missile crisis. There’s still plenty to dread, but I don’t think a nuclear hot war is foremost in the minds of voters in 2024.

2 Likes

I saw this and was like: “What in the Boomer shit is this???”

Who was that supposed to appeal to?

6 Likes

Boomers know best!

6 Likes

Pretty sure that precisely zero of the dead people referenced in the RFK Jr. ad would vote for RFK Jr. if they were alive today.

10 Likes

The ad has a different meaning is listened to silently (without the historical baggage behind it).

Not sure if it’s better or worse.