Super bright LED lantern for $10

[Read the post]

1 Like

I guess for the tech-saavy crowd who think nothing of looking at smartphone screens all day, this kind of light might be innocuous at worst, but I can’t see how anyone who desires the beauty of the outdoors enough to go camping, wants to be assaulted by artificial LED light.

A propane lantern is like a campfire on your picnic table!

4 Likes

I came here to say the same thing, these little LED guys are great for light general use. But they really aren’t all that bright when you get down to it. If bright is what you want: propane lanterns. I have never seen a battery operated lighting device capable of running as bright for as long as one of those things. But they do burn through quite a bit of propane, particularly on their brightest settings. I just bought the one pictured it will only run for about 4 and a half hours when turned all the way up (9 or more on low).

So we use various led lights for general sort of lighting when we don’t need anything particularly bright. Walking to the can, some dim lighting near things we might bump into. The propane guys are for when we need lots of light. Reading, games, prepping food etc. When your only running it for an hour or so, with the light level only turned as high as you need you’ll get plenty of time out of the tanks. Or you can buy the adapter to attach it to a full sized propane tank…

3 Likes

I swear by my old Aladdin Mantle oil lamp. No noise - extremely bright - the oil can be stored safely - a few quarts will get you through 2 weeks of power outage if you’re in a hurricane zone. And a beautiful light.You can use a variety of fuels if you have need.

With old timey charm to boot.

Comparison to flat wick & coleman type lanterns:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://kk.org/wp-content/archiveimages/aladdin-lamp2sm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/2672&h=199&w=246&tbnid=PKsMEYRWjok7ZM:&docid=zvLSFOdtz4I1CM&ei=4dS7VdT7Dsmz-wG125OIAg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCsQMygOMA5qFQoTCJTwp6iVhscCFcnZPgodte0EIQ&biw=1280&bih=590
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7HLbidVPV4I/hqdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3D7HLbidVPV4I&h=360&w=480&tbnid=_d-fUrmq1hMMNM:&docid=Q0vGWlTcBFzUkM&ei=4dS7VdT7Dsmz-wG125OIAg&tbm=isch&ved=0CEQQMygdMB1qFQoTCJTwp6iVhscCFcnZPgodte0EIQ&biw=1280&bih=590

6 Likes

Doing a bit of googling it doesn’t look like those Aladdin lamps are in any way practical for camping or outdoor use, very pretty and probably great at home. Its also important to point out that the Coleman dual fuel lanterns are significantly less bright (but also cheaper) than the propane models.

OTHER WISE COOL MY PARENTS WOULD LOVE SOME OF THOSE.

2 Likes

You are also backed by a 10 year warranty covering accidental damage and defection.

Apparently, you get your money back if the lamp ever joins ISIS.

1 Like

I have two flat-wick oil burning chimney lamps on my mantle, plus a lot of these 27 LED lights from Harbor Freight stashed around the house, that you can often get for free, with a coupon + any other purchase. That pretty much handles my power outage situation.

2 Likes

This thing is maybe 9" tall, when opened. Have a look at this wildly deceptive image of it in a truck bed.

Or maybe that’s just the world’s shallowest truck bed.

3 Likes

I have one of these and love it. They condense down to a very light & portable unit and last FOREVER (and not checking batteries before camping is a common miss).

And you can actually get them for as cheap as $8 on Amazon. A bunch of companies rebrand them/put their own logo/paint on them.

And yes, I get my natural light, from the campfire.

2 Likes

Ah, the memories of gathering all of the oil lamps every time that the power went out… I can actually smell the oil right now.

3 Likes

Hurricane season. I inherited my dads old all glass whale oil style lantern with a huge 7/8 " wick. Puts outa lot more light than the Dietz types. Though I have one of those you that has a platform you can heat up a stainless coffee cup on.

It may be a natural disaster or the zombie apocalypse; but we’re still civilized!

2 Likes

I agree that natural light is nicer. However, I don’t mind the LED lighting overall and they’re remarkably lighter than gas lanterns. When I’m climbing steep, rocky faces with a mountain bike in tow and riding steep stuff out here in Colorado on my bike with a backpack, the much lighter LED lights are my cup of tea.

3 Likes

Propane lantern? How gauche.

To camp properly you must bring your torches, pavillion, and hurdy gurdy.

3 Likes

This is the only one I use, smaller and brighter:

Those lamps are great for emergency lamps, and put out a pure white light using normal lamp oil.

There are some problems tho. They are HOT like kerosene heater hot—great for the winter.

Adjusting. As the lamp gets hot it’s efficiency changes…and you get lots of smoke and soot–sometimes obscuring the chimney with soot.
You have to stay on top of it until it hits a ‘sweet spot’.

Despite these drawbacks I like them. The light is very nice like a 60 watt lightblub.

Is the extra “l” in pavilion to help hold it up? :smile:

2 Likes

I fired one up last evening while watching a movie. They do put out about 2,500 watts each. Which is a plus in the fall if you lose power. But less so in the 90+ days we’ve been having this week.

You can get a brass smoke deflector for the glass chimney that protects your ceiling should you have the flame maladjusted and putting out a little smoke. They’re kind of attractive- I wonder if it would work as a warmer for that stainless steel coffee mug? Time for an experiment! If you have the flame adjusted properly it burns very cleanly and without any odor.

But belts and suspenders … in every bedroom

It is my couture brand of tents, artfully distressed, and to the chagrin of some bloggers in all lower case.

Good day, sir! >:)

1 Like

Very well, then, I accept your explanation. But I will never forgive you for getting Donovan’s Hurdy Gurdy Man stuck in my brain!

1 Like

Donovan? Feh. Try Neil from the Young Ones’ magnum opus, Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man.