Super expensive race car blows out a tire at very high speed on famous track

Ironically, it’s the modifications that took it from the stock 600+ hp to 1200 hp that seem to have caused that crash. The driver lost it during the turbo lag that was not mated to the transmission gear change on a very manageable turn - if it was running the stock naturally aspirated engine.

If the listed 8:35 was actually an at-speed lap attempt, the car could also use another driver. Stock BMW M3s and Subaru STis have run a minute faster Nurburgring times.

1 Like

That’s not a crash.

These are crashes https://youtu.be/H1h6o_6mtCg

1 Like

or this one:

2 Likes

Fix the cigarette lighter.

3 Likes

Is it just me or was that video kind of … boring?

Diecast car racing has become one of my comfort go-to’s during the pandemic. The commentators are funny, and I’ve always loved those little metal cars.

4 Likes

The 8:35 was the outlap I think.The driving shown looked a lot quicker. (@TomFury13 It often looks rather boring until you know what you look at)

2 Likes

That’s a great point. It is like watching Nascar, and then finding out that those dull looking rolling traffic jams are going at 200mph and pulling 3G on the banking. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hooleeyy shit. That was relentless. Mad props to that driver for keeping calm, although I’m sure he was a mess once the adrenaline wore off.

3 Likes

That makes more sense. Thanks for adding background!

I once overcorrected due to getting cutoff at a merge in a '97 Celica, and did an identical spin at 65 MPH on an open highway. I never got close to hitting anyone, ended up facing back where I was originally pointed, and just kept going on my way, but that was enough for me. I don’t see the fun in putting your life on the line for speed.

What?

He spun out, and then they showed it again in slow motion. I guess it’s not technically a crash? Is that your issue?

Whether he continued on or not, I dunno (assume one could with just a spin out.) But crash/mishap videos usually have the crash happen at the end. As does this one. If you don’t want 3 min of lead up, then do what I said - go to half way, go to 3/4ths way, and figure it out from there.

The track was manifestly unsafe. What track has a slew of parked cars littered throughout the course?

Maybe they mistook it for a demolition derby?

One night in wet conditions I watched a police car doing a right turn ahead of me (we drive on the left here). Driver lost the rear end (rear drive but with an automatic transmission). Rather than letting the car drift, the driver let it rotate through about 270 degrees, stopped, and got it going from stop.

Since then I have wondered if that is the recommended way to recover from that situation, or if the driver just didn’t know how to recover.

@deltaecho @knoxblox

They don’t call it Die grüne Hölle for nothing…

It’s open to the general public (not at all times, obviously).
Basically you can roll up with your own car or bike, buy a ticket and go for a spin.
You can also rent a sportscar or racing car, or ride shotgun with a professional driver in a fast car. Or book a training course.

The fun is that the real thing is a lot safer than what happened to you (which I’m sorry about- that is always terrifying). Speed on a public road is always always stupid and dangerous. I did wheel-to-wheel endurance racing and time trials for ten years, and it’s safer than driving to work on the freeway every day, honestly. There is so much safety gear, and on more technical tracks, your actual speeds rarely get deep into the three digits anyway. But people who speed or drive recklessly on public roads? There’s no hell deep enough. One thing racing really teaches you is how little the general public understands about the physics of cars and how little the average person is in control of them. The more I raced, the slower I drove on public roads. I haven’t knowingly exceeded a speed limit in probably 20 years now.

3 Likes

There really isn’t “one rule” on what to do in a situation like that. People always quote things like “turn into the skid” or whatever, but no such rule is ever always the right thing to do.

That said, many spins are catchable, but it takes years of practice to know the difference, and to know when late is too late. For beginners (which every street driver is, regardless of how they feel about their own driving abilities), the rule is “in a spin, both feet in”. The purpose of the rule is to prevent transmission damage from rolling backward under power in a forward gear. If your car is automatic, the equivalent is slamming on the brakes,

By the time a street driver realizes they are in trouble, it’s already way way too late, so getting the car stopped is the only priority and always the safest move. Also, the ABS is smarter than you. Stand on the brake like you’re trying to break off the pedal, and let the ABS do its job. Most people have never felt real ABS engagement, and it can be terrifying, but remember that you maintain steering control during ABS. That’s how it helps you- a wheel that is still rolling can still steer. If you find yourself headed towards something, steer away from it while standing on the pedal. Most braking advice people throw around is from when cars had drum brakes and no ABS. If you don’t have ABS, you need to learn threshold braking, which is a much more difficult skill, but those cars are comparatively rare now so I won’t mention that further.

The other rule to remember is “pick an open space and aim for it”. People who spin on an empty highway always end up hitting the only lamp post in a three mile radius. This is called object fixation. You’re so worried about hitting the post that you keep looking at it, and the car goes where you’re looking.

Apologies if you weren’t looking for a ‘splainey essay, but I get excited when a topic I actually know about comes up on BB. :relaxed:

7 Likes

I wonder if it has a cigarette lighter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.