Super, super, super-size me: a 2142 calorie meal

Damnit Jez it’s meant to be shared

5 Likes

I do, and have been for about 3 years, ever since my first daughter was born. I drink it almost exclusively until about 10am, then eat a regular lunch and dinner. Sometimes I fill in between meals with it. I do try to have some peanuts or something around to activate whatever chewing response because the “rats dying on a liquid-only diet” claims made me a little paranoid. I really like the neutral flavor, as creepy as that sounds. I find it comforting in a weird way. It’s like cheerios blended smooth.

My wife and I both tend to fall apart when hungry, and knew we’d thrown out of whack by the arrival of a baby. I relied on it (and do again with our second baby, 10 months) when I wake up in the night and get hungry. I truly think it has helped us through our babies being young when we couldn’t plan meals. I can have a couple hundred calories easy while I make sure the kids get fed, then decide with a level head whether I have time to have a real breakfast/lunch/dinner myself.

I get gassy with a lot of foods (brussels sprouts, onions, etc…), but haven’t had the popular “Soylent Gas” reaction unless I drink it way too fast (which is possible, despite my first comment.) I have no idea what it’s doing to my long-term health, or even short-term, though I continue to run 3 miles three times a week, and my doctor appears to think I’m in good shape. Other folks have raised valid concerns about ingredient sourcing, etc… but it’s a real life saver for me, and I know I’d be eating much worse otherwise.

5 Likes

For me the use case for Soylent would definitely be for morning and mid-afternoon because i should be eating in the morning and i’m not. And in the early afternoon i get hungry and its just to early for me to eat. I might give it a whirl one of these days

2 Likes

But then we miss the wonderful taste of roasted cabin boy!

3 Likes

How does Soylent taste?
Depends on the people.

5 Likes

Yeah, those boats aren’t exactly shown in actual scale. They’re all blown up to slightly smaller than Oklahoma… One can pass really, really close to you and never see or hear you, especially since those cargo ships have really small crews.

2 Likes

Good example is the lady who had to tread water for 10 hrs.

My grandpa was careeer Coast Guard. If he were alive I’d get to ask him more about this, but the ocean is huge and scary.

I have only one time been on a boat where I couldn’t see land (well twice, technically). I am not prone to panic attacks or anything like that… but when you are on a small fishing boat, there is no land in sight, and the sea is a few hundred feet deep below you - you feel real fucking small.

Now technically I was on a cruise once and probably couldn’t see land, but the ship is so fucking big you can sorta forget you are on a ship.

6 Likes

That’s like 3 to 4 salads (with dressing) at McDonald’s.

4 Likes

This reminds me about how much space there is in our solar system’s asteroid belt. In the movies, you see the spaceships darting through, trying to avoid collisions with house sized space boulders. But in real life, you should be able to sail right through the area between Mars’ and Jupiter’s orbits without any real difficulty. Space is huge!

5 Likes

A Big Mac with medium fries on the side for breakfast, lunch, and dinner could probably match the calories, too.

1 Like
4 Likes

I was reading a women’s fitness magazine - it doesn’t matter which one, they’re all alike - in a waiting room. A reader wrote in frustration at her weight-loss hitting a plateau. The expert columnist wrote back, telling her to make sure she was eating at least 1,500 calories per day. I almost dropped the magazine: “Per DAY! I know I’ve eaten 1,500 calories in ONE MEAL, and not even broken my stride!”

3 Likes

Is that just a pile of shawarma next to pizza? Man, I want that.

4 Likes

The pre-mixed bottles are starting to pop up in convenience and grocery stores and stuff, which helps with dipping your toe. My wife likes the pre-mix, but I personally think the powder “tastes” much better and I can mix up the consistency I like. good luck!

2 Likes

Usually chips too, and variously pakoras/samosas, ribs, battered burgers/sausage/white pudding, onion rings, all sorts really. Salad typically conveniently bagged for tossing into compost bin. Wash it down with Irn Bru.

5 Likes

The Scots are true innovators. James Watt, Alexander Graham Bell, the munchie box.

Or Buckfast!

4 Likes

Yuka Kinoshita would approve it…

Well, maybe a Belhaven. Bucky’s for an empty stomach.

2 Likes

Shit, why isn’t this a thing where I live?

I’ve been on a tiny fishing boat as well, and on a Cruise and yeah, you have an existential moment of dread.

5 Likes