Supercut of 1980s film references in Stranger Things

Two things:

1. Netflix seems to give all its original content at least 2 seasons
  2. The writers have said that they planned this as a singular story but left things open for more.

Netflix would be stupid to not commission more. There is plenty more to tell and work with.

Also, can someone explain the hatred Winona Ryder gets? I have never been able to grok that.

3 Likes

I’m just not really a TV series person. Personally, Films > Miniseries > Ongoing series.

I don’t generally have a problem with Ryder at all (can’t remember seeing her in much post Alien : Resurrection, mind). I just don’t like her in this (or the way she’s being asked to act and/or her character). She’s just chewing the scenery all the time (which is fair enough I guess, given what her character is going through). It’s just a bit much for me.

Like I said, I am enjoying ST, though.

This is tremendous. At around 3:06, I’m sure the kid prepping for battle is borrowed from The Lost Boys (headband, backpacks etc).

9 Likes

Or really any 80s "gear up montage"
but really, the camo headband is more Stefan DeSalle from “Russkies” (a movie I am sure I am the only one who ever saw it)

8 Likes

Nice catch.

2 Likes

Stranger Things was an obvious love letter to iconic 80’s movies, right down to the title card:

8 Likes

There’s definitely an ending. It does feel to me like an “we sure hope they give us money to keep this going so let’s have a few loose threads” kind of ending. But it’s not like a Lost season finale that cliffhangs some new mystery without resolving the previous ones, in case that’s what you’re dreading.

2 Likes

I, I couldn’t stick it. Mostly because of Ryder. If she took a little break now and then her desperation would resonate that much more deeply if you ask me. How many people have played that same character? How many have made the material unwatchable? First time for me, I think.

That felt like a nice neo-retro touch, didn’t it?

I read the use of ITC Benguiat was a homage to Stephen King book covers:

Were there 80s movies with this font, though? To me it just says “Pulp Fiction”.

5 Likes

The music in the series reminds me of the music in Beyond the Black Rainbow, which I found to be inspired more by Coscerelli than Carpenter (music included). Though I can see the similarities.

The Beyond the Black Rainbow soundtrack was done by a different artist, though - Sinoia Caves.

5 Likes

Also, the font they use is straight up from a Stephen King novel from the 80s.

7 Likes

Indeed.

Maybe that’s why I was partial to the series from the start; it was an instant dose of nostalgia.

I think I read that same review.

ST wasn’t perfect in its execution, but it was still mighty entertaining.

Several of them.

7 Likes

I read an article today about ITC Benguiat’s use in ST - one of the more “huh, wow!” callbacks was the use of the font in the old VHS piracy warning screens (Paramount’s, I think) -

2 Likes

Agreed on that similarity. Here is a deeper interview with the music creators: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/meet-the-guys-behind-the-music-from-your-new-favorite-show-stranger-things

2 Likes

I’m binge watching this today (screw work!) and the music & look/feel is amazeballs- but I’m just starting E3 and the colour pallet & composition is giving me the strongest tug towards Roger Dean’s work. I can’t really explain it tho. Great stuff!

4 Likes

There are several actual Tangerine Dream tracks used in the score from the album Exit and Green Desert.

3 Likes

I caught Exit during the fist fight (had to confirm I wasn’t crazy as it wasn’t an original score piece) Where were the other TD tracks?

EDIT: Nevermind, Green Desert when the chief (spoiler) rips apart his house. Were there more than those two?

1 Like

Yup, those are the location and are the only two I found that stood out to me.

1 Like

Kudos again to the score makers for creating such a great synth filled 80s nostalgia trip that it makes me miss an actual appearance by TD.

Never have I liked 80’s music more.

2 Likes