Supercut of British voters insulting Boris Johnson on the campaign trail

jon-snow-slurps

5 Likes

A group of unimaginably privileged men representing less than one percent of the electorate who are mostly old, wealthy, white and southern is grass roots? I’m sorry, but your mindset is so alien to me that I can’t type anymore.

3 Likes

Someone should get their money back.

5 Likes

He’s not really a racist. He’s of Jewish and Muslim stock and was married to a woman of South Asian heritage. He’s worse. An unprincipled chancer who uses racist tropes to gain acceptance and support from racists. So don’t defend him and expect a free ride. Especially in as notorious a libtard space as this.

It’s so weird how so many people who claim to have "read/followed Boing Boing for years don’t seem to grok the community that exists within its forums, at all.

They never come posting pics of banana related items, asking us to just look.

They never bring up the best way to sharpen a knife, or mention anything about acceptable hot dog condiments…

7 Likes

Are you saying he can’t be racist because of that? Looks like it was his great grandfather who was circassian-turkish, and was a secular Muslim, and on that side he’s actually related to the Queen, while on the other side, the same relation was Russian Jewish, great grandmother. Seems like he was raised with little of that diversity, though, was Roman Catholic and is now Angelican (for appearances, I’d guess). I don’t think he particular identifies with that part of his heritage, except when it’s probably politically advantageous and was little impacted by the prejudices aimed at Muslims or Jews.

He’s not married, tho? He has a partner who is living with him at 10 Downing… and I don’t see any evidence of her having South Asian heritage? Her father founded the Independent, tho.

I suppose she could have South Asian heritage… He was married twice before, so maybe one of them?

I’d argue that whatever the intention is beside the point, when employing racist language as a political figure. At some point, you become what you pretend to be, especially in the case where it has real, material impact on the political world.

obama-what-crazy

(I’m gonna assume that’s a joke?)

5 Likes

I think it was supposed to be ‘self-deprecating humor’… except that it deprecated ALL of us, instead.

O_o

You know what Scalzi says about the failure mode of being attempting to be ‘clever.’

5 Likes

the history of the world makes a lot more sense when you do

5 Likes

Utterly obligatory:

5 Likes
1 Like

If they use that name to signify that I am everything they hate I will wear it with pride.

(Although on second thoughts that’s just gammon privilege talking. Apologies for any assumptions made.)

1 Like

4 Likes

Overt, definitely. It’s more than just casual, what with all the gratuitous slurs he’s been dropping in public throughout his life and career (and not only to pander to the UK’s bigoted Know-Nothings, which would be bad enough).

I don’t know if I’d characterise it as extreme, but my perspective is from the US where “extreme” usually translates into violent and exterminationist rhetoric and action. I can see how his bigoted garbage might be considered extreme in the UK, though.

Well of course.

2 Likes

But not now or they are divorcing, rather.

And besides, being married to a person of color doesn’t mean said person can’t also have said and done racist things. it’s the equivalent of “I can’t be racist because I got black friends…” That doesn’t absolve him of what he said, just because the wife he, you know, cheated on and left, is of South East Asian heritage…

4 Likes

Guys like de Pfeffel also always make exceptions for “the good ones” (especially when they’re kapos like Priti Patel).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.