Supergirl, first look

What’s wrong with a darker and edgier Supergirl? Can’t you feel the angst?

1 Like

I was referring purely to the costume; in fact, almost exclusive to the palette of said suit.

Personally I don’t like the new “gritty and grubby” look for the Supersuits. It is a shame, because I thought that the Kryptonian technology used by Zod and his his buddies was great; it had a really cool retro look, like something from Barbarella or Planet of the Vampires.

Good to know. I guess the question becomes “why is that one obscure and forgotten compared to the other three” then? A weaker question for sure.

Of course, if you dig deep enough you’ll find there was a Super version of almost anything.

1 Like

Ah, the Legion of Super-Pets. Some of my favorite Silver Age nonsense.

I love them, but it gets slightly creepy when you realize that Supergirl actually dated that horse:

5 Likes

I dunno, I think Elle Woods is a good analogy. There’s no reason to think a bubbly, snarky superheroine wouldn’t work perfectly well as a series protagonist. Leave the grim dourness to the Bat-family!

Because you posted that comic, I have to replace my keyboard. Because all the beer I spat into it laughing is going to attract ants.

Thanks a lot :grinning:

4 Likes

I didn’t realize the costume was a she. Must be my mistake, thinking you were talking about a person while using a gendered pronoun then. Sounded like you were talking about -her- looking meh.

It’s not just her, it’s all the D.C. heroes these days. I just got around to watching Man of Steel this week and the whole first half of the film I was thinking “why did they make Clark Kent a tortured loner doing odd jobs across Canada while trying to avoid getting into bar fights that would expose his invulnerability? That’s Wolverine’s schtick!”

3 Likes

Um… I didn’t actually use a “gender pronoun”, but I’m sorry if I caused confusion.

IIRC, superhero pockets are in their cape.

3 Likes

6 Likes

you’re correct! you didn’t. My mistake there. It did read the way I read it, to me (imaginary pronoun and all) and led me to read it as a looks-based personal comment, similar to what @shaddack said. Thanks!

Who will play Healey in a gritty reboot? Jackman?

No Capes!

3 Likes

Maybe Michael Rooker? He picked up the bottle as a souvenir during the chaos and general art antiquities looting in Iraq, but it’s Major Nelson (Andrew Lincoln) (I’ll just cast it from The Walking Dead) who actually discovers Jeannie (shall I say Danai Gurira or will that just qualify as an example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro ?)

No worries, dude. I was forced to reflect on my flip posting style. Maybe I’ll remember in future that things don’t necessarily read as written or intended.

On a related note, if one were buying a skin tight, spandex costume, would one really want it grim AND gritty… that’s got to chaff.

Um… has anyone seen a jaw around here? Mine appears to have fallen off. That is totally brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing.

whoa whoa whoa, did we just work something out on the internet and wound up on the same page? Go us!

1 Like

There have been like dozens of Superwomans.

There have been many Superwomans, but Kristen Wells was the best-known and longest-lasting: the Dick Grayson of the Superwoman set, basically.