Superman comic sets new record, selling for $6 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/07/superman-comic-sets-new-record-selling-for-6-million.html

1 Like

I’ll just take this opportunity to say, I love the guy in the lower left corner. He’s always been the real star of that cover for me.

5 Likes

I always think of this image as frame 1 in a two-parter that concludes with this:

6 Likes

While the importance of the book can’t be understated, I can’t help but think that there is a bit of speculator bubble right now with graded comics, exacerbated by Covid and helped along by places like Heritage Auctions, who is absolutely complicit, including people working there pumping up prices on items to hype the market and hopefully resell things.

Right now video games is the worst bubble I’ve seen, but I really think some of the comic and comic art is in one too.

Though Action #1 will command a high price, bubble or not.

I’ve never read that book, but with all the people running away in fear and him throwing a car over the top of a man into a rock, the cover really does make him look like the villain of the piece.

1 Like

In his first appearances, Superman is almost like Twain’s Mysterious Stranger, interjecting himself into situations and using his incredible strength and speed to torment evil-doers psychologically as much as physically. He’s a one-man EC Comic, ironically meting out poetic justice to toxic scumbags.

The TOP 13 SIEGEL AND SHUSTER SUPERMAN Stories — RANKED | 13th Dimension, Comics, Creators, Culture

2 Likes

IIRC, those are bad guys running away as he’s trashing their car.

unfortunately, the bad guys were actually driving a red car. these guys were car pooling to work

( deuteranopia is quite common among kryptonians )

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.