Support a new documentary about vaporwave music

I should have ordered a switch before the pandemic :grimacing:

Vaporwave always reminds me of the No Wave movement in the 80’s, and specifically the '82 movie Liquid Sky. The soundtrack is an amazing encapsulation of the movement’s music, as well as themes of aliens, drugs and liquid gender and sexuality expressions. The entire movie is on YT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlSfCi9rTY

A very good example of No Wave from the movie: “Me and my Rhythm Box”

1 Like

Liquid Sky is amazeballs and let me just say, the Blu-ray release is tight. It looks and sounds gorgeous. Worth buying immediately!

And yes, vaporwave owes very heavily to that aesthetic. All these (contemporary) 'waves kind of blur together, for me anyway, into some kind of totally recognizable yet eminently unpinpointable 19A0s new-wave kind of vibe. Synthwave/retrowave/chillwave/vaporwave all share that common DNA in their heritage. It’s also shared by gnarly Trapper Keeper art, Patrick Nagel’s art, and so many other rad things. I love it.

And for a comedic take on the synthwave aesthetic, I have to highly recommend the totally under-appreciated show Moonbeam City, which only got a single season on Comedy Central. The art is great, and if you like the brand of humor (mostly immature), you’ll laugh a lot and enjoy the solid cast.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.