Support a new documentary about vaporwave music

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/18/support-a-new-documentary-abou.html

3 Likes

How is Simpsonwave not hailed as the premier moment of Vapourwave

5 Likes

Vaporwave reminds me of acid jazz from the 90’s. Or maybe just every youtube video of it strikes a weird nostalgia nerve of mid 90’s acid house parties (as in acid “house party”, not acid-house party).

1 Like

vaporwave enthusiasts did not go to cool parties in the 90s because most of us had not even hit puberty

2 Likes

thanks now get off my lawn and go make some trippy music.

3 Likes

AESTHETIC

2 Likes

blank banshee i think is the default goto “vaporwave” artist, their track “teen pregnancy” kicked off the whole simpsonswave thing iirc

(song existed, then someone added simpsons clips)

3 Likes

1 Like

vaporwaves entire aesthetic was basically stolen from a japanese new wave/electronica band and no one seems to care, but p-model goes harder than anything any vaporwave artist has ever produced
https://youtu.be/aj13Y_H6lDo

2 Likes

Saw it and enjoyed it when it existed.

1 Like

The vaporwave I have listened to in the past (going on memories from a few years back) always reminded me of flipping through television channels late at night^✝, shopping malls in their last throes of relevance in the '90s, etc. Which I suppose is the point. I think it is one of the more interesting genres to emerge lately but I’m probably not very up on new stuff. Lately I’ve been trying to understand this British genre called “Hauntology,” or something like that, when I am not listening to stuff from the '70s and '80s.

^✝“I do want your money, because God wants your money.”

1 Like

So, it’s basically Ghost Box without the narration?

The fuck is vapourwave? A niche of a niche of a niche?

Here’s our hauntology primer from 2009, although a few of the YT videos have been removed: https://boingboing.net/2012/10/12/hauntologists-mine-the-past-fo.html

Not shitposting here with the link; Vaporwave is actually super interesting and I encourage you to look through that. It’s not my favorite genre in the world, but it’s interesting to have lived through the rise and popularity of this weird genre. For folks in a certain age range (I think like 30-35 currently, maybe a bit further in either direction) it’s got this weird manufactured nostalgia thing that’s pretty interesting.

3 Likes

To each their own, but I think I might have just discovered what occupies the very lowest rung on my list of “Things I Am Interested In Seeing A Documentary About”

1 Like

I remember Burial… I didn’t know they were considered connected to Hauntology. Mostly I have listened to some musicians on Ghost Box and random stuff algorithms throw at me and don’t really read music reviews anymore. It’s like a late stage capitalism Information Age Derive maybe (I have no idea what I’m talking about)

This is a great read about what it is, why it matters, and why it’s by design that you haven’t heard of it before.

hell yea, I hope they rope in my favorite Lindsheaven Virtual Plaza
but also I’m psyched to see Haircuts for Men explain themselves, because, like, wtf

Animal Crossing + vaporwave = yeeessssss lol

1 Like