Supreme Court lifts Trump's ban on bump stocks

Bullshit. They would just find a different excuse.

10 Likes

It’s ironic that perhaps the only good thing Trump did in his 4 years has been overturned by his pet stuffed supreme court.

10 Likes

OT, and been said before, but i really thank you for explaining legal issues at a level that even an unfrozen caveman country pediatrician can understand. That’s truly a talent. Thank you!

17 Likes

On the source of the diagrams. :face_exhaling:

16 Likes

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

GIF by Giphy QA

11 Likes

But that’s what the legislature is for! The judicial branch just interprets the existing laws! /s

8 Likes

But in 2017 a lunatic murdered 60 people in Las Vegas, and that got the bump-stock firearm he used banned for seven whole years until yesterday. #Ammosexuals #guncontrol #Scotus

21 Likes

my two biracial grandsons, as well as their african-american mother, all have concealed carry permits here in texas. of course, per the abbott of austin, all texans without a felony record can carry openly or concealed with no permit. they got the permits just to be safer.

forward march to the lochner era!

this part, this is the crux of the matter that at least three of the supremes absolutely want to destroy the regulatory state and two more are lochner adjacent. even if one looks at the case as a gun case, it’s still a dreadful decision on the merits.

oh, and pro tip: don’t call a device which killed dozens of actual humans a “crappy novelty”. it’s a terrible look.

frame it as a quick-step on the march back to the lochner era. unfortunately, half the “conservative” justices have made it impeccably clear that they are part of a corrupt majority. i get that you approve of this outcome but you don’t get to frame it.

14 Likes

“In his confirmation hearings to become Chief Justice, John Robertssaid: “You go to a case like the Lochner case, you can read that opinion today and it’s quite clear that they’re not interpreting the law, they’re making the law.” He added that the Lochner court substituted its own judgment for the legislature’s findings.“

I don’t even…

14 Likes

apparently he meant he was jealous :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes

I wonder if Trump remembers that, or if he will be claiming that SCOTUS just overturned an overreaching Biden or Obama EO?

5 Likes

Something something “aCtIvIsT jUdGeS”

9 Likes

I don’t know, but I saw a lot of headlines that were describing the decision as a “blow to the Biden Administration.” I know the Biden Administration supports the ban, but they didn’t enact it.

8 Likes

Biden is against gun massacres. This decision makes them much easier to perpetrate. Thus violent crime stats will rise, making him look bad.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone is for gun massacres. And if violent crime stats rise as a result of this decision (which is actually unlikely…mass shootings, even though they are way too common, are still noise in the overall crime statistics in the US), that won’t be on Biden, but on the Court. And my point is that this isn’t a blow to the Biden Administration because (a) the Trump Administration enacted the bump stock ban, and (b) the bump stock ban had, at the time, broad support from politicians in both parties, and (c) the bump stock ban still has broad bipartisan support of voters from both parties. Characterizing this as a blow to the Biden Administration is more bullshit from mainstream media that is determined to make Biden seem as bad, or even worse, than Trump.

8 Likes

I don’t know that I’d go that far. Not that it changes your point but stochastic terrorism really does have more than its share of supporters. :frowning:

15 Likes

Yet another piece of evidence that Originaism isn’t a coherent judicial philosophy, but a figleaf to justify poor rulings.

6 Likes

Various gun reddits were saying things like

“Bump stocks are stupid. I’d much rather have a silencer, a pistol brace, or a short barreled rifle, but it’s great that the ATF has been cowed.”

“I’d much rather have a real machine gun that I can aim”

"This video proves the ATF was lying when they said the las vegas shooter used a bump stock. False Flag!

However, I am predisposed to think of gun afficianados as whack jobs, so my cherrypicking may have been biased,.

9 Likes

Fair enough.

Well…yeah. Reddit is gonna reddit. It has become the cesspool of the Internet with a few, very small oases of subs that aren’t completely awful.

7 Likes

especially with respect to the nra and the u.s. g.o.p. death cult
citation needed

9 Likes