Supreme Court temporarily halts court order that demands Trump turn over his tax returns

dRumpf would probably give the order to the FBI or Secret Service if it comes to that. I think the US Marshals would be perfectly willing to go physically toe-to-toe with any other police agency to seize the records from wherever they may be stored and turn them over to the beneficiary of the court order.

5 Likes

occupy something for a few weeks, until

• the media decide the occupiers are a bunch of smelly hippies

• the occupiers start having faction fights about how to run the cafeteria

• the cops announce a specific date that the area will be cleared

• the liberals go home

• the few remaining protesters are rousted like any other street people

9 Likes

That is ostensibly one of the reasons Supreme Court appointments are lifetime.

4 Likes

Congress did not oppose the stay.

2 Likes

Today I learned:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

A little reminder.

9 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/18/supreme-court-blocks-democrat.html

1 Like

I’m still stunned by all the work the GOP goes to to block looking at any crimes or fraud done by the president.

12 Likes

I am sure the GOP will get right on that paperwork. highest priority. top. men.

8 Likes

It’s cool, the court is a non-partisan group that will - in the end - do the right thing after looking at precedence.

/s
::crying::

12 Likes

In all honesty, these legal shenanigans by the president and his legal team, and by the justice department (acting as his legal team? which is bad.) will cause a lot of bad precedents to be set which we will all get to live with a long time. It is ridiculous for me to wish the president would think ahead on these things, my naivete is the only thing that keep me going these days.

6 Likes

Just you wait until the impeachment process heads over the Senate. There’s gonna be blocking galore. A downright blocking fest! Blockapalooza, if you will!

3 Likes

Just a reminder…

1 Like

This, right here is why (in the US especially), elections have consequences that aren’t easily undone.

You could defeat the GOP utterly for the next four election cycles and they’re still sitting pretty, thanks to the courts. Donnie has done the job they hired him for. An entire generation (or more) is going to get screwed.

10 Likes

Yes, based on what I’m reading elsewhere on the 'net, this is an absolutely expected situation, whether or not the SCOTUS ends up actually ruling on the issue.

2 Likes

I fear someone would pull out the fourth box of liberty, probably at a Trump campaign rally, likely sparking Civil War 2.

1 Like

No. It takes one justice to grant a stay (S. Ct. R. 23.1), and four to grant certiorari (i.e., to take the case).

2 Likes

Now we’ll see just how much the Trump-nominated SC judges think Trump is above the law.

1 Like

7 Likes

Like, what’s he going do? Fire them?

2 Likes