U.S. Supreme Court blocks release of Mueller Russia grand jury material

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/u-s-supreme-court-blocks-rele.html

6 Likes

Seems to be a broken comments link again.

It was a nice democracy while it lasted.

I wonder if they are taking applications for jobs in Finland. I hear they have some really great schools over there.

18 Likes

Also the system of jurisprudence is broken.

12 Likes

hmm…we’ll see.

8 Likes

Why even pretend that there’s any sense of a functional judicial system?

No checks, no balances…

Too bad I’m not rich enough or amoral enough to take advantage of this.

22 Likes
8 Likes

The other day, ex-President Obama said something to the effect that rule of law might be in jeopardy. While there is much I respect about this man, I hold his timidity in utter contempt. U.S. Rule of Law is fucking dead.

13 Likes

Yeah, goodbye America.

My country is dead, so is law, justice, and checks and balances.

You’ve made him an unassailable king against all evidence- which must be so damning it’s been blocked even from view from another elected branch of the government, selectively, that benefits the other half.

15 Likes

It’s times like this that I envy the religious and their belief in Heaven and Hell, because it would be comforting believing that there are special places in Hell awaiting for such selfish, awful, vile people.

21 Likes

OK, don’t panic yet…

Higher courts routinely stay the orders of lower courts until the appeal goes through - they err on the side of not doing anything that can’t be undone. And that’s what happened today.

Now if the final ruling of SCOTUS says the Mueller Report is to be kept secret, then we’re in trouble…

27 Likes

After what a more liberal court did in the 2000 election, I have no fucking faith in this court to do the right thing. The Republicans have poisoned the Supreme Court with yes men and cronies - especially the ones under Bush II and Trump. Nothing of any real importance that has ever hit the SC has been voted upon in any way except directly along party lines with those four.

9 Likes

This delay will push the release past the elections. What good would it do then?

6 Likes

What good would it do before then? Anyone who was going to vote for Trump is still going to vote for Trump: whatever it contains will just be dismissed as liberal deep-state fakenews smears.

When Trump said “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters”, it was one of the few true and coherent statements of his political career.

14 Likes

Just President Obama. Ex Presidents are allowed to be called by that title and I certainly won’t stop!

11 Likes

According to the above it doesn’t matter what they decided because if the White House appeals it will be decided after the election.

This is how the modern right wing operates. They will release (probably a heavily redacted) version of it but it doesn’t matter, the damage will be done while they keep the thinnest, the absolute thinnest veneer of following the rules. Just enough so it can be spun into something that sounds like they’re the good guys in the Fox News bubble.

4 Likes

This is a political ruling.

4 Likes

This is where I landed. There were no objections to this move from any of the liberal justices, which means they want the right to make a firm, clear ruling on this that will stand. Yeah, it sucks it pushes back this investigation again after its already been delayed for what feels like an eternity, but it’s important.

Fingers crossed they rule that “oversight trumps Trump.”

8 Likes

According to the above it doesn’t matter what they decided because if the White House appeals it will be decided after the election.

Sure, and that sucks, I get it. But it also means Trump can be tried and jailed more easily and he won’t have the benefit of hiding behind his presidential standing. And if by some miracle he wins, it’s important to keep this moving forward.

4 Likes

1 Like