U.S. Supreme Court blocks release of Mueller Russia grand jury material

if the justices decide to hear the case a final resolution may not be reached until after the Nov. 3 election

Thank goodness–we’d hate to think that the Court was going to be getting mixed up in political questions. Perish the thought.

Meanwhile, I’m sure the DOJ is working on fast-tracking the “investigation” into the Flynn investigation, and we’ll have all kinds of grand juries, Senate subpoenas, and hearings going on right around October.

2 Likes

Everybody was surprised when ⊥rump was elected in 2016.
Nobody should be surprised when he is re-elected in 2020.

We (sane adults) have to stay the course. The election is not yet in the bag.

It won’t be in the bag on November 3rd because the popular election isn’t the real deal.

It won’t be in the bag on January 6th, because if they don’t win outright, the GOP absolutely will steal this election if they are allowed to get away with it.

At noon, EST, on 20 January 2021, when someone besides the orange sh!tstain currently infesting the office space at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC takes the oath of office, then we can let up.

To do so before is to court disaster.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s the issue at hand. I for one would be thrilled to see the whole report be released and Trump go down in flames as a result. But the issue at hand concerns only a portion of the report: the grand jury materials.

There are good reasons grand jury materials are kept secret. But that secrecy is not absolute. This might not be the most authoritative source, but it’s a decent summary.

We don’t let up. Ever.

They don’t. That’s how they got W and Trump and Mitch and the Senate and the Supreme Court and the lower courts.

The single biggest problem with Democrats is they let up. W slipped in because Dems assumed Gore was a lock and stayed home. Obama gets in and they spend 8 years patting themselves on the back and talking about “post-racial America.” Then they stay home because they assumed there weren’t enough crazy people to vote in Trump. They ignore mid-terms and the Republicans take over Congress.

Yay, they got the House back. They shouldn’t have lost it to begin with.

Hope is bullshit. Sustained action is the only thing that gets results.

Getting Biden elected is going to take an extraordinary effort to overcome the corruption that is intent on delegitimizing whatever vote comes in. If we somehow manage to get him in there, then the real long-term hard work to rescue this country will have just begun.

We don’t let up. Ever.

4 Likes

i mean i guess we should just give up and let him be president for life then.

seriously. while some 25-30% of america will always support trump, there’s enough other people who might change their mind that it matters.

he’s already lost support due to his coronavirus catastrophe, but i’d rather have some of his previous actions be the thing to hurt him rather than an incredibly dangerous disease and the deaths of yet still more people.

saying none if matters and there’s nothing we can do to change people’s minds only helps to ensure he wins the election.

people who want him out of office need motivation to get out and vote, and people who want him gunning down folks on 5th avenue need excuses to stay home

2 Likes

This is the Supreme Court. No appeal is possible. If SCOTUS decides to hear the case, their decision stands, if it punts the ruling falls back to the last court to hear it and stands as well.

This whole story is nothing. This is a procedural move and incredibly common. It’s basically saying “don’t do anything until we decide (or decide not to decide)”. That’s it.

3 Likes

someone needs to start writing the blow-by-blow historical fiction that will become reality when trump loses the election but refuses to step down

it will roughly go like this

1. november 4th as results start to pour in and trump loses state after state (by narrow margin) he declares shinanigans on twitter endlessly and vote-by-mail fraud

2. trump has us postmaster general (new appointment by him now) declare there was something suspect with mail-ins and will investigate so results should be withheld

3. trump has barr declare there was something suspect with voting and will investigate so results should be withheld

4. results start taking days to be declared official by red state governors

5. dems sue, all the way to supreme court

6. supreme court rules trump actually won or there should be a re-vote in a 5-4 decision

7. trump says they will do a vote again November 2021

8. trump has military loyalists lock down the whitehouse

9. (2nd wave of covid19 wipes out another half million americans)

There was a lot of talk about how Gore and Bush were essentially the same. Also, he sighed during a debate.

Which is why it is so maddening when people say Biden and Trump are the same. I just think about where we would be if we started this millennium with Gore instead of Bush/Cheney.

5 Likes

I think 9/11 would’ve still happened, and we probably still would’ve had the Afghanistan part of the war, but it wouldn’t have extended to Iraq. So we wouldn’t have wasted so much time and money in an endless, unwinnable war. But we would’ve still had the economic collapse in 2008 because the roots of that mess stretch back to Reagan and run through Clinton’s bad policies, which Gore would’ve continued. But because we were frugal after 9/11, more of us have a rainy day fund to get through hard financial times. However, we still need someone to blame. Which means that instead of Obama, we would’ve gotten a Republican president (Romney?) because people would blame the Dems. The bailout probably would’ve been bigger, with fewer checks in place and more loosening of regulations. Most companies would default on the loans, shrug, and ask for a second helping. More mergers, more corporate influence, fewer worker protections. A Democrat president in 2016 (maybe an older Obama, but probably Hilary) who spends his/her entire first term trying to claw back any power from the corporate behemoths. COVID arrives but the American people are more willing to take the necessary measures because enough of them remember 9/11 and how Gore asked us to temporarily sacrifice comfort for the good of the country and how he didn’t tell us to “go shopping.” So people don’t swarm beaches and walk into Costco without a mask like they’re some kind of goddamn freedom fighter. We get through it as a nation. 2021 brings the Workers’ Revolt and C-Suite beheadings become everyone’s favorite reality show. The Fortune 500 all become co-operatives. Everyone is a millionaire. Flying cars replace automobiles. Zephraim Cochrane invents the warp drive and the Vulcans welcome us to a peaceful federation of worlds. Which we promptly take over and convert into a military fleet to conquer the galaxy. Because we can never have good things for too long.

1 Like

not too old to remember “billionaire for bush-gore” bumper stickers.

while they had a valid point, i can’t help think the world would look a lot different right now if gore had won

[eta: well… of course gore did win. and i guess that’s the point about the supreme court ]

2 Likes

Why? I doubt Gore would have felt the need to redirect American public anger into a martial theatre of “doing something”.

1 Like

I think a first-term president who was elected by a slim majority would feel a tremendous amount of public and political pressure to seek retribution. I don’t think the scale would’ve been anything like Bush did in Afghanistan, probably more targeted and surgical, but Gore doing nothing would’ve been disastrous for his re-election hopes. His opponent would easily label him a “typical weak Democrat.”

(Which isn’t to say that’s what I would personally want, but Americans are a vindictive and bloodthirsty people.)

Beaver: “He didn’t cheat a whole lot. Just enough to win.”
Whitey: “Yeah, that’s all you got to cheat–just enough to win.”
–Leave It to Beaver

Nader asserted, and stood by it, that there wasn’t “a dime’s worth of difference” between Bush and Gore.

One time I divided that dime by the 3,000 lives lost in the 9/11 attack. I didn’t even include the US soldiers killed in the subsequent Iraq adventure, or the tens of thousands of civilians killed over there. Just dividing that dime by three thousand–and the result was a remarkably low price put on a single human life.

And that sum, I may add, is downright magnanimous when compared to my subsequent valuation of anything Nader said after that, or anything his people said.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.