Supreme Court temporarily halts court order that demands Trump turn over his tax returns

Which agency is likely to follow that unlawful order? Not the FBI, not any of the military branches, not ATF or Secret Service.

I can only come up with one: ICE

5 Likes

Yeah I can see ICE being used to crush dissent.

2 Likes

In other news, Trump plans to issue pardons to Afghanistan-deployment veteran and Los Angeles-area actor Barry Berkman (stage name Barry Block) for his involvement in the stateside murders of approximately 6 Chechen-American gang members, 12 Bolivian and Bolivian-American gang members, menacing of several Burmese and Burmese-American gang members, and the wounding of several other people. Trump commented that they were all just a bunch of dirty immigrants from shithole countries anyway, nonetheless taking to heart one of the wounded men’s protestations that Barry “is super-nice.”

(And maybe some of the Burmese gang gets hit? I’m not far enough into season 2 to know what happens there.)

4 Likes

I don’t know enough about how this stuff works but I know one thing, please don’t die RBG!

4 Likes

I can certainly imagine this SC delaying decisions about Trump until they don’t matter and/or splitting various hairs and/or sending decisions back down the chain. I can’t see them doing anything that will seriously hurt the GOP hold on power but, of course, it’s possible that at some point Trump may be a problem large enough that they might decide against him in some way.

And, yes, of course, I can see Trump ignoring the court. Arguably, we are already at that point. I wouldn’t be surprised if he current IRS whistleblower case is related to Trump (and maybe others in the administration) trying to secure or partly secure their IRS paperwork.

2 Likes

Which would be a compelling argument ìf Brett had any principles, legal or otherwise.

1 Like

Ah I had it backwards. Supreme Court Procedures | United States Courts

The Supreme Court has its own set of rules. According to these rules, four of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case. Five of the nine Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, e.g., a stay of execution in a death penalty case. Under certain instances, one Justice may grant a stay pending review by the entire Court.

It’s that last bit that’s happening right now.

3 Likes

Thank you for your precision.

it took me way too long to realize this was a joke

4 Likes

Poor John Roberts! As Chief Justice, he has to maintain some idea of the rule of law; the other four of the GOP majority are free to put party over law whenever they want.
So Roberts’ dilemma: There’s four justices willing (eager?) to grant cert but then the problem. Find for Crooked Donnie (despite no valid legal reason this side of Gore v Bush) and prove conclusively that the majority doesn’t care about the rule of law or find for the House and piss off the Trump-loving GOP base.
Can’t wait to see how this plays out because SCOTUS (Roberts more so) is heading to lose-lose land.

2 Likes

Each of those agencies is made up of hundreds and thousands of individuals. Whether or not the agency as a whole or officially follows such an illegal order, what scares me is the real possibility that we’d be faced with in law enforcement officers with guns who may be on different sides of this question, and a President with absolutely no interest in preserving a system of government.

Plus, if this isn’t a message of the existence of support in such an event, I’m not sure what would be:

2 Likes

cowardly lion

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.