Surprise! Study shows Ivermectin makes suffering from COVID worse

If only it cured brainworms it would all be worth it

8 Likes

Right so the “suffering” may be worse, but this guys wife is a diagnostic genius so maybe she can help him
with the runs. My father is a cardiologist but I still do not want a heart attack, ffs.

Diagnostic genius: https://youtu.be/Xvv4JB3rXsA

18 Likes

She very nice. From Canada I hear.

8 Likes

Lacks her husbands masterful skill of statistics with a computer tho.

8 Likes

FTFY. Peer review of totally uninformed people’s guesses and assumptions by other people that are painfully gullible is the Facebook model of everything.

8 Likes

But they bury the lede when nobody mentions that none of these ivermectin guzzling, low-information unfortunates is currently suffering from mite infestation? Look at the bright side!

11 Likes

Basically, the study is looking at a specific outcome: does Ivermectin have an impact on COVID. The study found that, no, Ivermectin doesn’t significantly shorten COVID treatment time or reduce the severity of COVID. There was no significant positive outcome.

The study then looked at negative impacts of ivermectin, and found there was a greater incidence of negative side effects when taking ivermectin as a treatment.

The conclusion is therefore ivermectin doesn’t help in treating COVID, and its higher rate of side effects indicates it shouldn’t be considered as a treatment.

Not really a surprise: ivermectin is an antiparasitic. It’s a poison, used to kill worms and other parasites in animals (including humans). The (proven) theory of use is that it will kill the parasites before the host. Unless the malady is worse than the treatment, it isn’t really a good idea to take poison. We’re now accumulating a wide body of scientific evidence for what we’ve intuited for a while now: ivermectin is as useful for treating COVID as it is a headache: not at all.

22 Likes

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

12 Likes

Are you saying these horse meds users are suffering from lede poisoning?

22 Likes

These negative results are probably a great relief to anti-vaxx Ivermectin fans.

Any treatment supported by sound science, such as safe and effective vaccines, is something anti-vaxxers feel they have to oppose, and a positive RCT would have meant they would have had to turn against Ivermectin on a dime.

6 Likes

14 cases of diarrhea versus 4, out of 490 total participants. Given that some Ivermectin self-treaters are full of shit, this is a helpful outcome.

My point is NOT that Ivermectin is harmless, but the harm is small compared to COVID itself. The biggest harm is that we’ve turned a pandemic into ideological virtue signalling, rather than an opportunity to prepare ourselves and our community for what comes next. Focus on fixing that.

When the Qnuts aren’t claiming that COVID is harmless, they claim it is a PRC bio-weapon. If only bio-weapons were so ineffective. A fiendishly-designed weaponized virus might kill 10 to 100 times more, and many of us won’t survive to argue about it. We must prepare for survival.

It’s terrible that COVID has killed so many, but blame isn’t helping - the people we need to convince are repelled by our approach. Our design (if we have one) is seg-faulting.

Is there an approach that works? Not universally, but my MD wife has changed a few minds, and moved anti-vaxxer to vaccinated. I’m inept at gentle persuasion, like most of you, but I have helped find vaccines and schedule appointments.

The medical front-line is working 80+ hours a week to fight COVID. Many of them are burning out, and too many are dying. How can we use our geeky skills to improve their effectiveness, reduce their stress, and save their lives? How can we SHUT UP and HELP?

When I met my wife, she wrote technical manuals for Intel, but dreamed of being a doctor. I helped her get into medical school, build her office, set up and maintain her electronic medical records, etc. She did 80% of the work, but I prefer to believe that she did 25% more with my help.

How many of you know someone you can help become a doctor? How many of you can become a doctor yourself? How many of you can contribute to an open-source medical software project such as OpenEMR, helping thousands of doctors do their job better, saving thousands of lives, freeing patient data from proprietary bondage?

How many of you can help prepare for 2023/24/25 Doomicron? COVID spread via lies on the internet. How can we repair the net to spread science faster?

The question isn’t who is worse, but how you can create more that is good. You must make that choice yourself. Be free, be strong, be kind. Be a hero - then teach me how.

Ken Jeong Vaccine GIF by NBC

23 Likes

Who’s this “we”? The biggest divide is between those (including most commenters here) who see the pandemic as a public health crisis to be addressed with science and technology on a societal scale and those who see it mainly as a political issue to be addressed with unproven and often dangerous individual “cures” (Rogan’s audience).

Blame is accorded to people when they don’t use the reality-based societal remedies offered to them out of ignoramce, stupidity, or paranoia in a way that prolongs or exacerbates a crisis. They will not be convinced by anything offered by the sorts of people who congregate here, and indeed tend to be more insulted the more respectfully it’s presented.

This doesn’t just apply to the pandemic but to the climate emergency, to the resurgence of right -wing sado-populistm, and to economic inequality.

Already done.

Already done (re: a very tiny contribution to OSCAR on behalf of a Canadian physician who asked for my help)

These things aren’t particularly difficult to do, even absent the enlightened self-interest of helping a spouse or child. It’s often surprisingly easy to do the right thing when the occasion presents itelf. And that in turn makes it easy not to brag about it.

Yeah, using a vague but apocalyptic term like “Doomicron” is really helpful when it comes to trying to introduce reason into a conversation. /s

Until the developing world is vaccinated and we reach herd immunity (despite the U.S. Know-Nothing 27%), a bad variant or several may yet be on the horizon. One guy bragging about the 1337 engineering and coding skills that allows him to seal himself and his family into his own home for the duration doesn’t really address the issue.

34 Likes

BULLSHIT. Blaming those responsible for preventable deaths, including those spreading misinformation about treatment absolutely helps reduce those deaths.

35 Likes

I remember republicans being all in on operation warp speed and all the complaints that dems wouldn’t take it. Then, Trump looses the election and suddenly the vaccine was bad and anyone promoting it was being political. By this point I am just completely fed up with any hint of anti-vax bullshit.

27 Likes

I already am, sweetie, but you don’t listen.

30 Likes

WE haven’t.

You’re blaming the victims. Argue your case with the ideological virtue signalers, instead.

26 Likes

coke cola dancing GIF

21 Likes

And here I thought it was that we had viruses ripping people’s lungs apart…viruses which could have been stopped a long time ago if only everyone had just been willing to stay home for a couple weeks, and now instead are constantly evolving in a large pool of hosts who refuse to take extremely well-established measures to stop them.

But of course the left is to blame. I have learned from the internet that it always is. Every time the far right decides to lie and destroy and kill, it’s always because the left didn’t figure out how to talk them down with the exact secret combination. :roll_eyes:

45 Likes

Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

21 Likes