Survive the coming apocalypse inside a big pipe buried underground

Ok ok, but I have some practical concerns. Is the shelter anchored? Buoyancy applies to large buried underground on medium-long timescales of decades. (A common problem with empty swimming pools). Also, the real benefit of modern housing is the plumbing. What’s the toilet situation like? Potable water storage?

If anything, the stink of the limited toilet and your unwashed shelter-mates will have you running out before other considerations.

18 Likes

How am I 20 feet underground when the bottom of the tube is 20’ underground with 3’ of flooring? Aren’t I, at most, 17 feet underground? Is 10’ of soil really going to be enough?

Yeah, I thought so. This smacks of MRE purchases around late 1999.

26 Likes

Sounds good, as long as I don’t have to punch those damn numbers into the computer every 108 minutes.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

8 Likes

Hmmmmm. 30-40k for an 200 sqft undetectable underground grow room? Sounds like it would pay for itself in no time.

25 Likes

That task has been superseded by cranking.

We only use military-grade NBC air filtration systems …with manual override cranks in case power is lost. Our air system is so easy to crank anyone from a 6 year old to a 106 year old can operate it.

“Susie, you take great-Grandpa’s shift tonight. He’s looking a little pale.”

22 Likes

I want one of these for some peace and quiet.

12 Likes

Survive the coming apocalypse inside a big pipe buried underground

Survive the coming apocalypse smoking a big pipe not buried underground

25 Likes

One of my lotto-win purchases would be something like this. An underground lair/recording studio/movie and gaming room. Somewhere that you can really crank the noise, anyway. :metal:

10 Likes

You know what always gets people caught? Power companies. After a while you’re going to get tired of buying all that gas and just hook it into a much cheaper electrical grid…

11 Likes

I like the cut of your jib! Sign me up for this survival plan!

I would have to get a server with A LOT of disk space so I can archive various images and videos important to civilization…you know, sexual education videos…

Edit:
Actually, I think I’ll store the info on how to brew beer and make whiskey and other distilled liquids and then open a bar.

11 Likes

Haha, nice try. There’s no way I’d let my family in with me.

10 Likes

It’s nicer than my Apt… :frowning:

12 Likes

ftfy…

10 Likes

How’s the wifi?

7 Likes

This is cheap, affordable housing in the Trump years.

8 Likes

Lord Of The Rings meets CHUD.

Or maybe Ted Cruz was right?

3 Likes

I’m an engineer, and I’m fortunate to even be literate. I managed to get my undergrad degree without taking any humanities courses.

7 Likes

I’m not privy to meetings of whatever Russia’s equivalent of Strategic Air Command is or anything; but my layman’s understanding is that; unless you are specifically trying to crack Cheyenne Mountain or something; it is considered best practice to avoid pointless overkill near ground zero; and instead attempt to distribute a worthwhile amount of destruction over the largest area possible.

I would be not at all surprised if, even with airburst MIRVs rather than old-school overkill-because-our-CEP-is-atrocious devices, you’ll still get a crater and/or seismic event large enough that anyone under ten feet of dirt at ground zero is in trouble; but across most of the blast radius it would likely be ample.

Now, what doesn’t look so ample are provisions for spending any length of time underground, should the fallout/firestorms/local warlords require it.

4 Likes

Too small to prevent me going insane within a month.

5 Likes

Well, the good news is that there’s a mini-fridge for snacks. More than enough food to wait out the Apocalypse. B

9 Likes