Survive the coming apocalypse inside a big pipe buried underground

Patent it! Dual use.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m 20 miles from New York City, 8 miles from EWR, and 50 miles to Fort Dix/McGuire/Lakehurst. Ten feet isn’t going to cover it by a long shot. Even if we survive there isn’t going to be much out there for us to come up to for a very, very long time.

In fact, most of my state is just a big red blob here:

7 Likes

These bunkers are subject to all the disadvantages of a tank but with none of the advantages. Wait in the trees and pick the guy off when his head pops up under his fake rock. Flush with exhaust fumes until people stop coming out.

6 Likes

Heh. That was a sneak peak into your mind.

Wait, so you’re saying that after the apocalypse someone with a bigger gun is going to shoot all the people with the other guns? That’s not like humanity at all!

Seriously though, after the apocalypse there wouldn’t be any trees. And I wouldn’t bet on that plastic rock still being there either but instead acting as some kind of device that traps you in a coffin of your own devising.

7 Likes

Nah man. These things will buy you however much time your food will last for.
And then you die.

It’s a much better plan to either get nuked, or cooperate with your community to survive.
I know, for some people that’s a tough choice.

12 Likes

Well, you see that map upthread with all the nuke target zones? I’m right in the middle of a pretty giant red blob. Instant annihilation! Guess I won’t be saving my cash for a bunker after all.

7 Likes

Air burst implies no crater, because the fireball isn’t going to dig out a crater if it’s not touching the ground. And unless they’re trying to dig something out, nukes are air burst. In which case 10 feet of dirt probably is enough. You’re looking mostly at the roof not collapsing on you, and protection from the prompt radiation.

2 Likes

A shelter under a swimming pool might be a better way to go.

3 Likes

They are already multi-use. This is a mountain-top wireless internet station. It’s fiberglass, so the antennas can be inside.

5 Likes

They smell like them after a hard rain too!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Beavis: You could like, live in the pipe.
Butthead: I don’t wanna live in a pipe, buttmunch.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/138893/the-pipe-of-doom-safe-driving.jhtml

5 Likes

A pretty good plan if you can survive the initial mass extinction. Warlords and their minions love their booze, and a slave that can keep it coming is valuable. Remember Hot Pie in GoT? A boy who can make great baked goods always has a place to stay.

3 Likes

At CMU they let engineers fill their history requirement with “Technology and Western Civilization”.

If you have serious plans to survive the apocalypse, you don’t live in Jersey. We can barely survive rush hour here. I keep telling myself that the prevailing west winds will keep the dirty bomb from blowing across the Hudson.

7 Likes

Gotta scrub that cobalt.

1 Like

One large rock and the world is less one nimrod family.

2 Likes

When you have really limited space you need to make every bit count. Who was the genius that decided they should dedicate so much space to a MUD ROOM? It is not as if you are going in and out of this all the time.

i’d much rather have a separated bathroom and a closable divider for the bedroom area. being able to have a tiny amount of privacy or separation can help keep people sane in these sorts of situations, especially for any extended duration.

7 Likes

Naw man, any dirty bomb is going to wreck the water life like nobody’s business. Just pack up for Maine when it happens.

I mean if. If it happens.

1 Like

And why is the mud room on the side that’s connected to the interior of the house, rather than the side that connects to the outdoors?

6 Likes