Survive the coming apocalypse inside a big pipe buried underground

Whats a mud room?

Wiki:

Many suburban American houses have a mud room, a casual, generally secondary entryway intended as an area to remove and store footwear, outerwear, and wet clothing before entering the main house. As well as providing storage space, a mud room serves to increase the cleanliness of a house proper.

4 Likes

No digging required in Galt’s Gulch.

6 Likes

That’s actually a great idea, you know; there’s a lot of ambient radiation coming down, from the sun, the sky, the secret government satellites.
A home under a swimming pool might just lengthen your life a bit.

I dunno how expensive that might turn out to be, as pools leak all the time,
but I love the concept.

2 Likes

this reminds me of this:

Yum yum! Perfectly roasted trashcan Americans!

1 Like

I saw ‘10 Cloverfield Lane’ recently. I really liked it. It has a Fallout shelter with an aged John Goodman in it. It has 7.3 on IMDB. (Here’s trailer on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179933/ You might like to check it out.

4 Likes

That first sentence has fully 4 mistakes! Gar!

“The only bunkers manufactured today that has actually been tested against the effects of a nuclear bomb and has passed, is the round corrugated pipe shelters (used in the 1950s) by the U.S. Army Corps of Enginneers…”

Well I guess spelling and grammar won’t matter soon, right???

And that’s ignoring the practical mistakes like the guy with the gun not being able to shoot at anyone approaching from the other side of that hatch… But I guess this is just a man-cave for survivalists?

4 Likes

Good to see grandma and aunt jean hanging out on the easy chairs. There’s nothing old folks love more than climbing down a 17’ ladder to hang out and watch TV.

Now, I do have to complement this company on one thing. The “concealed escape hatch,” is seriously concealed, being covered by a foot of dirt. Now that’s dedication… Good luck getting out that way.

EDIT: Well, damn, I thought I was kidding and that the plan view was in error, but it’s actually on purpose (from the manufacturer’s site):

Also, Atlas Shelters have one way in and two ways out! How? With an escape tunnel with an Inward swinging door that cannot be blocked. The escape hatch is 5’ under the surface with a 4’ deep sand layer for protection between the escape hatch and the surface.

And there is a reason for the “mud room”:

Also all our shelters have our proprietory mud room or decontamination room with shower attached to the main body of the shelter. Without this room there is nowhere to store trash or let your animals go to the bathroom. Also some Atlas Shelters have a proprietory bolt-on generator pod with a water-tight hatch door “patent pending”.

3 Likes

Ah, MREs - three lies for the price of one!

3 Likes

I grew up far enough from MacDill/Centcom we knew we’d see the flash of light before everyone got sick and died over the next few weeks. Now I live close enough I might go that very day. Progress!

4 Likes

There’s always hope in the future and money in the banana stand!

1 Like

I dunno, it looks to me like they are trying to incorporate plenty of horizontal and vertical lines as well as squares and rectangles into the environment of these things.

Also, Soylent Green is grandma!

2 Likes

You don’t want your neighbors seeing you going in and out of your shelter.

Fortunately, they’ll never even notice it being installed…

9 Likes

Otherwise the whole town will want in.

Well it is a water tank.

1 Like

Anyone else notice that their post-apocalyptic viewing is Dead Man?

6 Likes

From the headline did anyone else think this was going to be a boing boing store ad?

9 Likes

“I got one of these and it is excellent. The best part is that it’s incredibly affordable. I highly suggest you name your price to get a great deal on this Atlas Corrugated Pipe Survival Shelter.†”

†Pay what you want, as long as it is over $109,000. All Sales Final. Delivery and installation not included.

7 Likes

Based on my extensive study of post nuclear incident simulations; I’m going to suggest ‘maybe don’t go to Maine’.

5 Likes