Survivor bandmembers 'gobsmacked' at 'Eye of the Tiger' use in Kim Davis hate rally

Future social theorists will be bitterly divided on the question of whether this is America’s ‘post-ironic period’ or whether the era represents the apotheosis of deadpan sarcasm played straight.

I know where my vote falls.

10 Likes

This hypothesis restores my faith in the country, as a hater of deadpan humor.

err, does permission need to be sought?

1 Like

Please grant her the right to use Charmin. There’s already too much shit going on!

2 Likes

The correct theme for Kim Davis is actually
I fought the law, and the law won

17 Likes

19 Likes

Agreed. The original Rocky is a legitimately good film. The rest are schlock. Of course, schmaltzy is kinda what Huckabee was goin’ for, I’d imagine…

2 Likes

thanks for the info

“The massively popular and durable song was, at least textually speaking, an apropos choice by Huckabee’s staff.”

No, it wasn’t. IF the people doing all the cheering had been good god fearin’ folk they would have chosen a song that in any way mentioned…THEIR GOD. A hymn, or gospel tune about fighting the good fight. Or maybe “We shall overcome.” (oooh, probably not a good choice considering the palette gathered there).

Note that I said "IF the people had been god fearin’ folk…’, from which I will make the obvious deduction.

4 Likes

I think she should be allowed to use all the music I’ve ever hated in my life. Please send her all the REO Speedwagon / April Wine next.

4 Likes

I’m guessing it’s a few time-travelling social theory experimentalists that are driving trollies for resume fodder.

3 Likes

Only if the people doing all the political posturing don’t want to look like assholes. Conservatives in particular don’t seem to have that problem.

Really, the question is why Survivor would even be surprised by this kind of thing. It’s not even the first time their song was appropriated without their blessing by a public figure championing an explicitly anti-gay message. Newt Gingrich did the same thing in 2011:

1 Like

I suspect she was released because both Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz had announced they would visit her in jail. It was a smart move to get her out of there, so she and the county couldn’t be used for additional spectacle.

3 Likes

Not to be a pedantic Vulcan, but I think it’s very important to distinguish that this woman wasn’t jailed for her religious beliefs. She was jailed for using her government position to shove her religion down the throats of law-abiding citizens in spite of numerous court orders to stop, thus not only breaking the law she was supposed to uphold but also violating the Constitutional rights of those she persecuted by doing so.

24 Likes

It makes me absolutely sick that people are celebrating her bigotry and discrimination as some sort of heroic virtue. She is getting affirmation and attention for being a horrible person. :frowning:

18 Likes

stupid is as stupid does…

3 Likes

Not… really? So long as the licensing fees are paid, and the person does not defame the band, dilute their brand, or directly imply some endorsement or association, there’s no legal grounds for a band to complain. They don’t own their public performance rights, ASCAP/the label/ et al does.

1 Like

Which is why these types never ask permission. What label wants their hit licensing money earner associated with dickheads like this?!!?! >.<

1 Like

Uh, survivor can simply not authorize the use. (assuming they’ve retained the rights, nobody’s obligated to do business. You can write as many songs as you want, and choose never to license them.)

1 Like

I guarantee you, Eye of the Tiger is covered under a blanket license available from ASCAP for public performances. Survivor can ask all they want, but unless their label pulls the song from the blanket licensing, any one can use it for any public performance they want, so long as they don’t represent themselves as being endorsed by the band, they don’t dilute the trademark of the band, and they don’t defame the band.

That’s the cost of blanket licensing and getting that sweet radio play and restaurant play and sports bar play and such. It’s a blanket license.

This is some good press for Survivor though.

6 Likes