Survivor bandmembers 'gobsmacked' at 'Eye of the Tiger' use in Kim Davis hate rally

Not necessarily:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always wondered - it isnā€™t like the song is an endorsement.

Well that is the neat thing about art and music - despite what the artist intended, what the audience takes away from it can be something completely different.

I bet more than one soldier or cop rocked out to Rage Against the Machine before going out.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks it odd to see BoingBoing lending credence to spurious copyright claims. The great champions of free speech and fair use change tune when they donā€™t like the subject of the complaint?

2 Likes

Confirmation bias has always been a hell of a drug here ;D

1 Like

Itā€™s only bad when they do it.

Where are BB saying they canā€™t play that music?

Where are Survivor saying they canā€™t play that music?

8 Likes

She says she hasnā€™t changed her position, so the big question is: will she just try the same stunt again? She has already claimed the licenses issued by her clerks without her permission are invalid. I suspect this is not over.

11 Likes

Well, if you have a copy of You Can Tune A Piano send that one to me. One of my top favorite rock albums! But you can dis April Wine all you wantā€¦

Pretty sure ā€œBorn In The U.S.A.ā€ was a staple of Reagan rallies. They obviously didnā€™t bother listening to any of the lyrics aside from the chorus.

6 Likes

Usually the same ones that want the death penalty for downloading stuff.

7 Likes

Possibly in court, if they donā€™t stop.

2 Likes

I thought they were called ā€˜rutabagaā€™ over there.

3 Likes

In north east England, we call them turnips. We also call turnips turnips. Fuck knows why.

3 Likes

Everyone likes to celebrate those who uphold their shared values in dramatic ways. Terrible people are no different, in that respect.

2 Likes

The law is that anyone can buy music in general commerce, they are then required to pay statutory royalties for public presentations. It is the right of everyone from antisemitic vampires, to bayonet charging Maoists, the douches and heroes involved in legitimate political rallies; the royalties law and right to consume and present in public applies to everyone. And the artist has the right to use the paid for performance as a way to attack a candidate but cannot bar them form using the music, even the current insane copyright regime does not give the music companies who own our culture or the artists who sold away their rights that power.

3 Likes

And further north, ā€˜neepsā€™.

I once had a very confusing conversation with an old Geordie about what was the correct vegetable to carve at Halloween.

2 Likes

Why, itā€™s tornips, hinny (which, when carved, are ā€˜nattiesā€™. Simple, see?).

3 Likes

AFAIK that is not actually legally required in the US. Also the US doesnā€™t have a ā€œmoral rights of the authorā€ legal concept so Survivor dude can be as gobsmacked as he wants to be but it donā€™t make no difference.

As a published musician myself Iā€™d love a chance for to appear on national TV long after my career was dead so I could act outraged about how my music was used in public.

1 Like

I would agree to let her use the song IF she runs up the stairs at the Philly Art Museum.

2 Likes