Survivor bandmembers 'gobsmacked' at 'Eye of the Tiger' use in Kim Davis hate rally

According to Google, “Swedes are also known as yellow turnips, Swedish turnips and Russian turnips and, in America, rutabaga.” I’d never heard of the last name before though.

1 Like

If only you’d been there to say that, it would all have been clear.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s beautiful!

Are the risers as low as they seem? If so, it’s probably hard to run up them without tripping.

2 Likes

Huh? This is neither free speech nor fair use.

Quite so. @Hutz, @anon85524460, and @Mister44 all seem to be under the misapprehension that BoingBoing is “lending credence to spurious copyright claims”. Since that didn’t actually happen, I must take this to be an indication that these three individuals are victims of confirmation bias.

I mean BoingBoing must be doing that kind of thing because they always do that kind of thing. Amirite bros?

2 Likes

The band has virtually no right to restrict use. They have assigned the rights to ASCAP for licensing. As long as Huckabee’s people pay a nominal fee once a year, they can use it.

@wysinwyg, You are disingenuous to suggest that when this is posted without comment it isn’t an endorsement. Call it schadenfreude maybe, but if it was an artist protesting against Bernie Sanders using a song at a rally, there would either be an explanation of why they are haters or it would be held up for opprobrium.

I would be surprised if anyone who reads BoingBoing supported Davis. Hell, I would be surprised if anyone who reads supported Davis. But that doesn’t mean we should forget what we believe in while disapproving of her.

You can disapprove of something without saying that it is or should be illegal. The members of survivor can be gobsmacked, and that doesn’t say anything about actual or ideal law. Michael Stipe can say that he doesn’t want donald trump to use his music, and that does not have the force of law.

We can absolutely believe that she might have the legal right to do a thing while also thinking that this is misguided, inappropriate, or against the wishes of the members of Survivor

this entire comments section conflates law and feeling with reckless abandon

3 Likes

Where did I argue otherwise?

1. An “endorsement” of what exactly?
  2. Had Xeni commented to the effect of: “Survivor is exactly right and Huckabee is wrong” then it would clearly be an endorsement. Apparently, not commenting is also an endorsement? So you’re asserting that any mention I make of anything is necessarily an endorsement unless I ostentatiously disclaim the individual or event in question? (Talk about confirmation bias!)
  3. How is giving Xeni the benefit of the doubt here being “disingenuous”? I suppose if you’re going to accuse me of dishonesty you’re going to have some evidence or argument to back it up?

This is supposition on your part – not based on fact. But then,neither was the initial accusation so I really shouldn’t be surprised.

This moralistic hogwash is unnecessary and annoying.

2 Likes

But I support their right to say it. Even (and especially) when listening to Eye of the Tiger.

And yet . . .

some legal reporting would help to clarify things a bit. I assume that the song is under a blanket license, but I don’t actually know. I assume that Survivor’s Peterik is full of shit when he claims that he “usually” gets called for permission when someone wants to use the song. And I kind of suspect that his lawsuit threat is unsubstantiated legal bullying. But I don’t actually know anything right now other than that Kim Davis used the song and one of the people who made the song is unhappy about that. At this point I’d need to retain counsel just to be able to voice an informed opinion about whether or not Peterik is using a baseless copyright claim as a truncheon against an ideological foe

Well, I didn’t comment on @Hutz’s right to say it, so obviously I’m endorsing @Hutz’s right to say it.

The quotes make it sound like he has a problem with his songs being played in a political context in general. That could be posturing – I really don’t know enough about the guy’s politics to say.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.