Republican Mike Huckabee had to pony up $25k for playing Eye of the Tiger

[Read the post]

1 Like

Why doesn’t he just pass the collection plate? For Huckabee and Kim Davis, whom he was defending at the rally, this was a religious event, not a political one–although I realize they don’t see a distinction there.

8 Likes

So it was an “eye for an eye”.

11 Likes

8 Likes

If Republicans could just cut it out, do you think this song would be generating hundreds of thousands in royalties? I’d say Survivor has a pretty good racket going.

9 Likes

Why don’t Republicans just stick with safe Christian rock? Leave the good music for everyone else.

13 Likes

You would think that they would have figured out that the only “safe” music available is written by either Ted Nugent or Kid Rock. Not much of a back catalog to work with, to be honest.

7 Likes

Sure it might have looked silly if they decided to play Ted Nugent’s “Wang Dang Sweet Poontang” instead, but he would have saved $25k!

7 Likes

There’s Stryper too - 80’s Jesus Metal power ballads would make great backing tracks for the candidates, though since one band member’s possibly Ted Cruz they might stay away for different reasons.

14 Likes

Why would that have looked silly? I can’t think of a better song to promote the party of family values!

2 Likes

I remember back when Huckabee was running for president, he set up some rally where he played music (I think he plays – or alleges to play – bass) with a few other people, and one of those people was one of the many former guitarists for the band Boston… in other words, this was someone who’d played in one of the many incarnations of Boston, and this person was neither Tom Scholz nor Brad Delp… and Huckabee made statements implying that he had the endorsement “of Boston”. Tom Scholz was horrified, and wrote him a letter demanding Huckabee immediately cease claiming he had Boston’s endorsement, an endorsement he most emphatically did not have.

From here: “Boston has never endorsed a political candidate, and with all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for,” wrote Scholz.

6 Likes

Good thing he didn’t use this, eh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGJd8FLAqRA

2 Likes

One more thing I was too lazy to follow through on… if you watch the video, it could be sync’d to Village People’s YMCA. She makes the Y a couple of times.

For once it doesn’t feel like a copywrong

Because it so rarely rocks?

3 Likes

They could always rock out to this

2 Likes

Which is weird.

Christian-themed music used to be good; gospel, bluegrass, choral, etc. It wasn’t until the late 20th century that it turned into insipid shite.

It may have something to do with the takeover of overt Christianity by right-wing authoritarian arseholes.

6 Likes

Christian Rock is like diet ice-cream - it misses the point entirely

2 Likes

9 Likes

Because nobody listens to Christian Rock on purpose. It is always something kids are forced to listen to because their parents don’t let them have the real thing.

To quote Hank Hill (To a Christian rocker), “Don’t you realize, you are not making Christianity better, you are making rock and roll worse”

6 Likes