Swarm of bees descends on baseball stadium and delays game for two hours

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/02/swarm-of-bees-descends-on-baseball-stadium-and-delays-game-for-two-hours.html

Sounds like we’re gonna have to nuke Houston.

10 Likes

Obligatory…

Honey Bee Oprah GIF by Team Coco

16 Likes

homer simpson GIF

10 Likes

And this is why I prefer hockey arenas.

3 Likes

Much less chance of this there…

nicolas cage bees GIF

5 Likes

Since we are posting bee movies, Swarm was one of those that was a little too scary for me as a kid.

Lollipop-death

Hilton said there was a high probability that the pests were Africanized honey bees, also known as killer bees. He also said the bees might have turned aggressive if agitated by the net moving. Instead, they were taken out of the stadium and set free off-site.

Wait, I am all for saving the bees, but aren’t Africanized bees an invasive species?

6 Likes

What is this, the 1990ies?

3 Likes

That sounds way more interesting to watch than a baseball game!

5 Likes

I don’t know about “invasive”. He usually only sticks around for a couple of days then goes to another town.

9 Likes

Saw this yesterday and every article omitted what happened to the bees. Thanks for the Atlantic post about them being released…although if the other quote about them being killer bees is true, that seems unlikely?

2 Likes

Bee Squatters! It’s the trending bogyman.

2 Likes

I’ve seen signs like this on hikes in Japan:

And thought “someone misspelled murder hornet”… and “cheerful” - WTAF?!

Then I ran into one down at Miyajima - it hung around for about a minute before leaving, that MF was big and scary no doubt :scream:

4 Likes

Safely catch/release a swarm o’ bees and throw out the first pitch at said game, get your own Topps baseball card:

8 Likes

Nature is healing.

2 Likes

my girl thumbs up GIF

3 Likes

So are all honey bees in North America, the European ones were just introduced a couple centuries earlier. That stereotype of American bears getting into beehives? Didn’t happen until Europeans brought the little buzzers with them across the Atlantic.

There are native honey bee species in South America which indigenous peoples have cultivated for centuries, and as a bonus those species (Meliponini) don’t even have stingers. So it’s kind of a rip-off that we somehow ended up with several kinds of bees that sting and occasionally kill people when the friendly guys were already living one continent to the south.

6 Likes

I have been afraid of killer bees for 40 years now. I truly hope to avoid them more. Sigh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.