Sweary mums are scaring off Mumsnet's advertisers

You are not too familiar with the British Class system - The upper classes swear like sailors -

8 Likes

This seems relevant…

8 Likes

There is a huge difference in a mom exasperatedly exclaiming “You gotta be fuckin’ kidding me!” and a White nationalist saying “Death to all nïggers, Jews, fags and everyone else who doesn’t look like me!”

11 Likes

5 Likes

But the basic principal of right of association is the same. I might have gone a little hyperbolic. Maybe I should have compared it to refusing to advertise during South Park or Bill O’Reilly.

Maybe just a tad.

That said, I don’t think the advertisers in this instance are going to be very successful with controlling ‘the tone’ of the people they are trying to market to…

3 Likes

Not swearing (or rather, not being heard swearing) is a middle class affectation.

12 Likes

Did you have ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ over there? The first couple of minutes is entirely made up of posh swearing:

6 Likes

Right. The big problem here is that the people they are marketing to are the ones doing the swearing and they aren’t the ones being paid. “We want you to be less sweary and also buy our shit”

1 Like

To which I say:

Try to dictate to me as to how I “should” communicate, and I will make it a point not to buy any of your shit.

3 Likes

I regret that I have but one like to give to your comment, @the_borderer.

Bulgari et al are just looking to peddle some extra class anxiety to an audience of middle class women, and are disappointed that the ladies of Mumsnet (infamous for pearlclutching and parental oneupsmanship as they are) have turned out not to play sufficiently to type.

7 Likes

I’m sure that Martha Wainwright could be repurposed to sell a brand desperate for authenticity.

4 Likes

As is annoying pedantry. :wink:

5 Likes

Don’t worry. I was going with the “go with it if it looks right” method of spelling that works 99.9% of the time with my dyslexia.

5 Likes

Yes, great film! Nearly everything sounds classy with an English accent. I was referring to Americans who use foul language.

1 Like

Also QuimJongUn is the best user name ever.

2 Likes

Proper swearing is an ancient and high art.

Accent is irrelevant. Imagination is the measure of fine swearing. An English person throwing out fuck every fifth word sounds every bit as ignorant as an American doing the same.

3 Likes

Indeed it is.

14 Likes

FB_IMG_1475357010970

5 Likes