Sweden sends "If War Comes" booklet to all of its 4.8 million households

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/sweden-sends-if-war-comes.html

3 Likes

Preparations include: The best ABBA album tracks

But seriously, that is next-level scary. I would not be reassured if a similar pamphlet were delivered through my letterbox.

8 Likes

Under the part about how to tell government information from enemy disinformation:

If Sweden is attacked by another country, we will never give up. All information to the effect that resistance is to cease is false.

11 Likes

No doubt. I don’t think I could survive without Dancing Queen.

5 Likes

Can’t see that ever going wrong… /S

2 Likes

I rather suspect it’s meant to scare. Sweden has just stepped up military cooperation with USA, which isn’t entirely popular in a traditionally neutral country, and there are always those who want to increase the military budget.Scaring people with the Russians is traditional in Sweden since long before communism.

4 Likes

I guessed the Fear The Russians angle but I wasn’t aware of the Swedish\US cooperation link.
Fear: works every time, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

…They shouldn’t have watched that serie :

5 Likes

Sensible preparation advice shouldn’t be that scary. It’s not the most pleasant thing to consider, but having a plan in place can make a huge difference in the face of disaster.

7 Likes

For a Swede that used to be a child of the cold war… this is really a non-issue. An almost identical text used to be printed in the phonebook*. Did not harm me none, nor get me scared. Certain other countries (cough) would print stuff like this full of jingoistic bs and flags and eagles or what have you. This is pretty useful but basic info.

One interesting thing that is missing in the new version are the evacuation plans. People in zip code x were supposed to trek about hundreds of km to location y in the case of nuke strike. One can only imagine how such a migration would look.

*For the young un’s. Phonebooks were these printed books that used to have almost every single person listed in alphabetical order, with their corresponding landline number (a landline is a bla bla…)

22 Likes

Like @jample said, no big deal for a cold war kid.

We can download our brochures from the
Federal Office of Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance (BBK)
or have the BBK mail them for free.

https://www.bbk.bund.de/EN/Publications/publications_node.html

6 Likes

I was under the impression you had these:
ti104056_large
But I may have been misinformed, again.

3 Likes

Time out.

Why is this booklet in English?

4 Likes

Nope, I have these. Just as patriotic, if not more so, but terrible for evacuating in.

tamiheels

(I genuinely own that very pair of shoes. Just sayin’.)

6 Likes

I was wondering that too, but if you look at the bottom of the table of contents, it says:

“This brochure is available to download in several different languages at dinsäkerhet.se.”

I assume that the good editors at BoingBoing were merely nice enough to provide the link to the English manual, since it’d make the most sense to us. :slight_smile: If you look at the URL, you’ll note that the file even ends in “—engelska”

7 Likes

Well that makes sense, I guess.

So all the people responsible for getting us to this point can read it.

10 Likes

funny they just got news the common cold was getting a cure

A few months back I went to a Red Cross lecture, hosted by a local aviation company who had a hangar to spare, called “Prepare Out Loud.” It was about preparing for the upcoming* Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. They gave out a very nice preparedness booklet at the end. As a result, I bought a couple of 5 gallon buckets and other supplies so I could implement a “two bucket” privy system. I already put in water for about three weeks.

Then I thought: What about the other 300-500 people in my neighborhood? Will then start shitting in their yards or dumping buckets in the local creek?

We need booklets like that sent to every household in the Pacific NW, with postcards to request a Spanish (or Russian, or Chinese, or . . .) version. Maybe sell two-bucket sets through school sales, the way they sell wrapping paper or whatever.

*Could be five minutes from now, or a century; current estimate is a 30% over the next 50 years

7 Likes

Dude. I would watch the hell out of that.

1 Like