Sweden sends "If War Comes" booklet to all of its 4.8 million households

And a matching handbag?

1 Like

Hah! Like Trump can read.

As for this, I wish my country (US) would send something like this out to everyone. But I suppose that would be tipping their hand.

4 Likes

If you have Netflix you can, I’ts called “Occupied” on US Netflix. It’s in my queue now too!

4 Likes

Nah, I’m not a Spice Girl :grin:

5 Likes

Swedish government: Looks at USA and its president. Issues “If War Comes” booklet.

5 Likes

OOooooh, sweet! Thanks!

1 Like

Jample and me seems to be of the same age. I too remember the “pink” section of the phone book with the evacuation plans. This pamphlet is nothing new, but rather a reminder after years of happy thought after the fall of the Communist block and the Iron curtain. I heard on Swedish news that foreign news outlets is so exited over the “if war comes” part the spin might lean over to fear. If you read it you’ll see it’s pretty harmless and mostly informative. I, for one, feel a nostalgic fuzzy warmth and hope it will inspire myself and my fellow neighbours to at least think about a tiny bit of preparedness. It’s mostly just common sense stuff…

4 Likes

Obligatory Protect and Survive: https://youtu.be/3IaeeSKpwSQ

2 Likes

(I was half-expecting to read “contains 5 gallons of Jim Bakker’s survival chowder” somewhere in your post)

3 Likes

I suspect if I ate any survival chowder I’d need a lot more collection bags and ashes for the “poo” bucket. Not a good thing when the water mains are down.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Or even store such materials at schools and community centers in case of sewer catastrophe.

I live in on shaky islands and found this booklet a great source of useful and simple DIY solutions for community Earthquake preparedness.

2 Likes

That is a much more detailed version of the guide the Red Cross handed out!

If it were up to me, yes, schools and National Guard armories and the like would have a spare room full of buckets, plastic bags, and the like.

A pop-up canopy with tarps clamped to the sides could be used as a privacy booth for a “public” bucket system.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the 2nd season; the first was very good.

Racist even in death: Nice one Neil!

1 Like

On a somewhat similar theme:

3 Likes

giphy

1 Like

Good for you!

Although, Sarcastic Spice does have a certain je ne sais pas quois

3 Likes

Home Preparedness Tips - Warmth
If the electricity goes off at a
cold time of the year, your home
will quickly become cold. Gather
together in one room, hang
blankets over the windows, cover
the floor with rugs and build a den
under a table to keep warm
. Think
about the risk of fire. Extinguish
all candles and alternative heating
sources before you go to sleep. Air
the room regularly to let in oxygen.

DISASTER-RELIEF BLANKET FORT, FTW!

Another weird thing about being raised Mormon - besides the underwear: Stocking bushel upon bushel of whole wheat and other grains, dried legumes, canned goods, and other non-perishables in the basement, along with a substantial water supply and water purification materials.

The goal was survival rations for all family members for a year in case of a personal, local, statewide or national emergency. Even if the emergency didn’t last for a year you would have enough food on hand to help out your neighbors.

These days Mormons still stock whole wheat and canned goods, but there’s a lot more freeze-dried and dehydrated foods. The recommendations at this time are - as you can afford it and learn to work it into your weekly meal planning: One week’s, one month’s, and then a three months’ supply.

It’s something that still makes sense to me, even after leaving all of the woo behind.

2 Likes

A note: it’s actually more of a practical reminder of the responsibilities of a Swedish citizen than propaganda. The Swedish doctrine is that any conflict within the borders would rapidly devolve into passive resistance by civil society and guerrilla warfare by the armed forces. (“Fria kriget”) Since the country doesn’t have the capacity for maneuver warfare against a larger opponent. No carriers, cruise missiles or even attack helicopters for instance. And as a consequence it won’t be practical if, say, a local politician etc. can declare resistance over after being pressured to do so. Thus: it’s never over as long as enemy troops are on Swedish soil.

8 Likes