Table saws are dangerous

Well that sounds awsome, You would just have the laser pointing one way, right? Presumably down.

I once cut four quick blocks to put under our bedframe when we moved into a house with hardwood floors – on the last one I caught a chunk – maybe the size of a big post it – and shot right into my belly. Absolutely knocked the wind out of me and broke the skin. Any bigger and I probably would have been impaled by it.

1 Like

Or smaller, especially if we’re talkin somethin thick like oak

Steve Gass, the founder of SawStop, is a patent attorney by trade. Take that as you will.

Funny enough, Bosch’s Reaxx system didn’t eat blades.

3 Likes

I heard his real name is “Baggins.”

3 Likes

I’ve seen that video multiple times. My point is that this situation is very unlikely to arise on modern table saws with standard safety features… And the guy was an idiot to do that, as he I believe attests to in the video, because it shredded his push block.

Yeah – this was just some scrap plywood. I easily could have been on my way to the ER with that.

1 Like

If you’re careful if it will be a expensive non-use upgrade. If your mind wanders only once you may have to pay for it to be reinstalled, but boy will you be happy that you get that honor :smile:

Don’t get the upgrade and you may end up regretting it, or not. But if it’s been used, you will most likely not regret getting it.

1 Like

The whole point of the video was to show people who remove the riving knives from their saws, because they think they’re careful enough to avoid kickback, that removing safety features is dumb. He’s trying to save people from themselves.

3 Likes

I knew that, actually- I used to work for a contractor that had one at his home shop in Forest Grove that he bought directly from Steve. My boss was the one who gave me the rundown on how they got started- it was very much an idealist project, their initial plan was just to sell the tech to existing manufacturers, and hopefully to become a work safety standard for both cabinet and job saws, which is where the real danger is for scads of reasons.

1 Like

Are you sure you’re referring to the video and not just the gif? Your earlier comment suggests you didn’t watch it :smile:

If everyone that did not watch the video also didn’t comment, this thread would have only been half as long. So many people saying he is doing it wrong, while it was clearly his intention to get a kickback.

Even while intentionally doing it wrong, expecting to get a kickback, he still nearly cut his hand and profusely acknowledges that he was dumb to do this. It is at best unnecessary to call him a idiot since he clearly already did so himself and shared the video so others could learn from his mistakes.

5 Likes

I cut my thumb half off in shop class cutting out letters to spell IRON MAIDEN (damn O). Shop teacher actually cussed when he saw me bleeding like a fire hydrant. Sent me to the nurse. Didn’t send anyone along with me. Walking down the long hallway. The light at the end got brighter and brighter. I guess someone found me past out and bleeding in the empty hall. I woke up in the nurses office. Ended up getting a few stitches. I like my little thumb scar now.

8 Likes

Well you obviously win story time. Anyone brutalizing themselves in the name of Maiden is a hero in my book

4 Likes

A virgin blood offering was obviously required.

6 Likes

Unintentional Companion Topic:

6 Likes

I just saw that. let see if I remember how to cross link…

I have one and can’t imagine cutting a 2 by 4 on it. Why? the only things I’ve ever used it for are cutting sheets of plywood or wood siding or large sheets of OSB/particle board. Really can’t see why you would use a table saw for anything other than something like that.

So, since it engages when it detects flesh, the calculus is that fingers < $200? My mileage…varies.

There’s any number of things that you can use a table saw for in woodworking beyond ripping sheet goods. You can use it to mill lumber, create joinery, cross-cut consistent pieces, make exact miters, all kinds of stuff for fine woodworking.

4 Likes

Table saws (shop and site) are incredibly versatile, and that’s before you get into custom jig/sleds…

4 Likes