Take a deep dive into how culturally and musically strange "The Girl From Ipanema" is

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/take-a-deep-dive-into-how-cult.html

2 Likes

Or how pervy; it’s about two old dudes on a beach lusting after a young woman who goes by frequently.

Still, Astrud’s voice is marvelous.

6 Likes

Interesting take on the cultural history of the genre and the song, but could’ve done without the cliffhanger ending. I’ll probably listen to more without Neely’s extended commentary.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the MAD parody!

1 Like

You could read this into well over half of popular music from the beginning of time until present day. Should we all just become Quakers?

6 Likes

Why the question mark? Burton is well known, has played with legends, taught at Berklee college of music, put out tons of his own LPs for decades…

1 Like

That’s on youtube/copyright law. Youtube educators have had a lot of trouble on the pltaform which has become a “no fair use” zone. (Mostly due to copyright holders abusing youtube content ID)

1 Like

I was guessing from memory.

2 Likes

I’m not disputing the issue, but the presentation’s on him. He could’ve said that much earlier.

1 Like

Oh, I see. . . my bad, we’re not sure if that is Gary Burton. He did play with Getz back then, doesn’t look like Cal Tjader.

You go do whatever floats your boat, dude; your choice in religion has nothing to do with me.

*shrugs

6 Likes

Or my fave Lionel Hampton!

1 Like

So, if that’s the second most recorded song, what’s the first?

This is one of my favorite albums.

3 Likes

Some songs are worse than others. This one is on par with James Blunt’s “You’re Beautiful”.

How hard is it not to view women as objects? How hard is it to see us as human beings?

They tend to be egalitarian, antiracist, and antimisogynistic. I didn’t realize this was BAD. But if you think all those are BAD, then feel free to shit on Quakers.

7 Likes

You make a good point; historically, Quakers have always been against slavery, injustice & oppression, so they’re actually quite alright by me.

I suppose the dismissive reference was supposed to imply a state of being “sexless” or something… but just like everyone else, I’m sure that Quakers get their freak on when they feel like it (and ideally when everyone involved is consenting and of age.)

9 Likes

They were also one of the first Abrahamic religions to openly talk about how it was ok to be LGBTQ+, although the more conservative meeting houses agreed to disagree on the subject. One of the earlier bisexual conferences in the UK was held in a Quaker meeting house in the 1980s.

When I see these dismissals I wonder if they have ever met a Quaker. They aren’t puritans.

8 Likes

Gotta agree it’s pervy. Knowing the song before studying critical theory my gut reaction was that this was lyrically always a song from a male perspective sung by a woman.

Her voice is “marvelous” and exotic, you can actually hear the grain of the voice of a unique woman. Yet my gut feeling was that Stan Getz was the ‘musical genius’ and Astrid was the sexy breathy sidekick who ‘looked’ good and her voice weirdly collides with the sexy, breathy saxophone.

Quite a bit of context to unpack here… haven’t seen the video… thought it might be good to comment before seeing it and then re-comment.