2 Likes

Hey, @Papasan, that’s you!

3 Likes

Fly Egal, fly!

2 Likes

Hi there, penguin with a scarf.

2 Likes

Day-yum!

“Other people do worse” isn’t really a great excuse though, correct? Cui bono?

Oh, absolutely. Just pointing out a sad reality about American political discourse to put things in perspective.

aka Dr. Hackenbush

2 Likes

Mine’s not quite as nice, but I still like it.

1 Like

Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

chart

See also “Anarcho” Capitalists :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whew! Looks like I won’t get kicked out of the BoingBoing club!

4 Likes

Smack dab in the center of the left/libertarian quadrant, just barely left of Bernie.

Which is strange, considering that I’m essentially a Burkean conservative. Probably the Overton Window moving and me staying where I am.

4 Likes

It’s an American thing – 150+ years ago, “Liberty” was defined as “I have the power to compel others, including chattel slavery, and nobody can take that from me.” In large parts of the US political map, that’s still what it means. So, perhaps, it’s not a really useful word with a diverse group.

5 Likes

Thank you. I get the “I don’t value liberty” angle (I think). But I do not get the "Liberty adds nothing to a conversation about political values’ angle. Just trying to understand.

1 Like

Only if you buy me dinner first.

“The sole purpose of ‘The Political Compass’ is to get you lost enough to espouse right-wing positions without grasping that you are.”
Source: https://amormundi.blogspot.com/2010/02/dispatches-from-libertopia-anthology-of.html

2 Likes

Three in from the left, up two.

Not much wiggle room in some of those questions though. I have a (slight) tendency for delivering Left-wing solutions in a Right-wing style :smirk:
Well, if everybody listened to me then I wouldn’t have to…

5 Likes

This seems like a big old exercise in question-begging. Bias aside, most of the questions make it transparently clear what the Red Team and Blue Team answers are, so the only way you could take the test and be surprised by your result is if you somehow have opinions on, say, inflation vs. unemployment, and yet didn’t know that was a longstanding partisan (false) dichotomy.

If you really wanted to separate people’s beliefs from their tribal affiliations, you’d set up questions that avoid party-political talking points entirely. Like, I dunno, story problems about a community of shipwreck survivors – or even just ask people their favorite Star Trek character – and then plot the responses against people with well-defined political labels.

4 Likes