Target to remove LGBTQ-themed merchandise from stores to appease conservatives

41eb8ffef871ce98e5c51bd72ceac593

19 Likes

Maybe Target should let their employees run things.

11 Likes

7 Likes

I keep thinking of that, of the rollercoaster of thinking things might change for the better, and then almost immediately losing that hope. I have a couple friends with young-ish (teens, early twenties) trans children and they are experiencing it, too. They are mostly kind of lost, but trying to learn, and really supportive, and just want to help their kids live their lives while keeping them safe.
So they see this glimmer of hope, like, oh, cool, I can take my kid shopping at a place that has things for them, and then, blammo. Nope.

8 Likes

Most of the people I know who are directly impacted are from the old times. So I just see the wreckage of what their lives might have been, and the glimmer of hope that some kids like them might not have to endure that to live… And I see the struggles, the addiction, the self-destruction that is resurfacing as all this cruelty is visited on everyone. Older folks get to witness a return to the nightmares they only just shook off. I realize now that genocides, like recessions, only “start” after they’ve been happening a while.

It fucking sucks. We, our country, our laws are destroying lives just for the sheer fucking pleasure of ending them in some delusion that human sacrifice will appease a God that only exists in the minds of men who sell tools for human sacrifice.

10 Likes

Oof.
Absolutely accurate, but seeing it so plainly expressed is like
kick karate GIF by The Art Of Self-Defense

11 Likes
4 Likes

It really is at this point. The courts and legislatures you mentioned aren’t helping protect vulnerable communities and are in fact aiding in their oppression. Waiting for the courts and hostile legislatures to come to their senses is throwing people under the bus until then.

8 Likes

And, also, a well-chosen security guard does not equal violence. Sure, they’re capable if it’s absolutely necessary, but like in the video posted upthread, just having someone present who conveys, “this is not acceptable, and I can physically stop you if you bring it to that,” is usually enough to get them out of there.

12 Likes

It isn’t the legitimate job of the private sector, but given that the U.S. – at the urging of privatisation-drunk conservatives – has abdicated part of the state’s monopoly on violence to corporations that is the situation we have to deal with.

5 Likes

Too many legislatures have outsourced enforcement of misogyny, racism, transphobia, etc to the mob, or just abdicated any responsibility to assure equal protection to those same groups, which amounts to the same thing. We can choose to step into that breech, or wring our hands at what is happening and write a letter. Which is going to be more effective?

5 Likes
5 Likes

This is what happens when you appease fascists.

8 Likes

Yep. They’re not about to let getting exactly what they wanted stand in the way of the bullying they were looking forward to. And now that Target has shown they’ll cave with no resistance, they’ll be getting plenty more abuse from fascists (in addition to a lifelong boycott from me and, I hope, from all of you as well).

6 Likes

Well they left Canada so that should be easy for me.

3 Likes

Also applicable in the thread about the debt-ceiling talks.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.