South Dakota Governor warns of America's impending doom, blames Target

Originally published at: South Dakota Governor warns of America's impending doom, blames Target | Boing Boing

1 Like

Canada stopped shopping at Target, and now we have socialized medicine and some gun control.

37 Likes

“Protecting our freedom” as she’s using it offers a very limited range for the value of “our.”

19 Likes

Public officials attacking private businesses, urging Americans not to spend money on their products?

Hey Biden, next do the Trump Org., Hobby Lobby, and Papa John’s. Like, publicly call them out in this manner.

17 Likes

Declaring a corp “woke” in an open carry state. Targets?

10 Likes

If he wants to do a real Dark Brandon moment, he gets out there and praises them for their DEI departments, diverse workforce and support for progressive causes. That should do them in!

24 Likes

Ha, even better!

9 Likes

It’s dangerous. And Steve, I’ll tell you I’m like a lot of Americans. Love to shop at Target. I mean, we do, but we just can’t anymore. And while the rest of the country is worried about, you know, having fun and going out and shopping and enjoying a store, that store is fundamentally tearing down this country, and we have to have real conversations about how serious we are about protecting our freedom.

So many words… so little meaning.

21 Likes

Meme dealers, all of us.

2 Likes

Constantly surprised that the magaosphere hasn’t yet twigged to George Soro’s most cunning long term scheme to bring down the corporate conservative hegemony: project trump-n’-desantis, (most successful lizard constructions out of the Jewish space labs to date)

7 Likes

So not corporate greed, crushing personal debt or climate change: tuck friendly swimsuits are the threat. What a joke.

23 Likes

The word Freedoms is entirely synonymous with Restrictions in their vocabulary. Perfect doublespeak.

24 Likes

Not to be forgotten is the fact that Target – and Bud Light – capitulated to the fascists. They bowed, touched their foreheads to the floor, and begged for forgiveness. And Republicans still refuse to forgive them.

The lesson here is never give in to fascists.

29 Likes

To be “fair” it was less giving in to fascists, and more giving in to fascist terrorists, since they were ostensibly trying to avoid violence at the stores. (Though I wonder if giving in even made a difference in that respect.)

It does raise the question of whether these “conservative” boycotts of major brands even has any impact - seems like most people shop at big stores like Target (and Walmart) because they don’t actually have viable alternatives, so even the hardcore transphobes won’t necessarily stop. I wonder if even Bud Light had much of a dent in their sales, despite how easy it is to just buy some other brand of cheap piss.

14 Likes

Yep. Now Target will keep getting threats and abuse from fascists, as well as a boycott from me and hopefully others that they wouldn’t have gotten if they hadn’t chosen to throw their more vulnerable shoppers under the bus. I’d say Bud Light too, but it’s not much of a boycott when I’ve never bought them before in my life anyway. Going to Target, on the other hand, has been a Halloween tradition for me that often ends in me spending a couple hundred on decorations and candy. Not any more- ever.

9 Likes

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” - Frank Wilhoit (the composer, not the political scientist) The only freedoms that matter to these people are theirs, not everyone else’s.

12 Likes

I came here to make some version of the same joke. So pleased it was already the first post. :joy::canada::dart:

7 Likes

Ah, but you repeat yourself.

11 Likes

Very true.
Also a very limited range for the value of “freedom”.
“You will have the freedom to do what WE tell you to do.”

6 Likes

The democrats aren’t anti-business like the GOP is.

3 Likes