South Dakota Governor warns of America's impending doom, blames Target

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Principles so simple, a child could understand them.

10 Likes

If America is that easily destroyed or probably should just be put quietly to sleep.

2 Likes

I mean, at some point, the hyperbole will just cause people to tune out this kind of garbage. Hopefully.

2 Likes

This is the danger of democracy. It is very resilient to outside attacks, but very vulnerable to rot from within. The Right has decided democracy does not work for them (because it does not) and so it must be destroyed. To that end, they encourage the rot. Pretty much that simple.

15 Likes

Not “hopefully” at all, not until LGBTQ+ people get treated like human beings and all the fascist assholes are gone.

13 Likes

It’s all Target’s fault!

3 Likes

Brent Terhune warned us first:

2 Likes

the damnedable thing is, recognizing that trans people exist does nothing – absolutely zero – to anybody else’s freedom. and it’s such a crock of $#!+ for her to say otherwise. someone being trans ( or gay, or black, or an atheist, or someone having an abortion, whatever ) … none of that hurts her, or even can hurt her.

what she is is uncomfortable. and it’s that unwillingness to handle her own discomfort that’s leading her to want to eradicate trans people.

( and, well, she’s probably a fascist. or at least willing to take their money. so there’s that too. )

12 Likes

Her hate of Target might have something to do with Target wanting to demolish Mt. Rushmore.

Everyday I learn something new.

2 Likes

Not sure why the attitude. I’m with you on this and I am gay.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that Walmart also had Pride displays in their stores, got the same sort of response from “conservatives” but didn’t cave in, and the only apparent consequence was… their stock went up. So yeah, the financial impact alone of giving in to the terrorists seems to be more detrimental to the bottom line than ignoring them and letting them “boycott.”

6 Likes

Because it’s not hyperbole while people are at risk. We might be sick of hearing it, especially as the targets, but that’s not the same thing.

9 Likes

The gQp know a thousand million different ways to yell that the sky is falling.

It’s getting old.

3 Likes

I can only hope they don’t weaponize this retailer and start a world war. Japan would attack with Daiso, France would retaliate with Galeries Lafayette and Rússia could send waves and waves of GUM.

2 Likes

I wish it worked that way, but the general way the Overton window gets moved in conversation is that a piece of nonsense becoming widespread means that it moves into the range of acceptable discourse and something more extreme moves from unthinkable to fringe, to later move further in as the pattern repeats. Ten years ago pre-viability abortion bans were both unconstitutional and a relatively fringe view, now you have people openly talking about using the Comstock laws to go after contraception.

13 Likes

Indeed.

“Freedom for US, not the peasants!”

2 Likes

I went to Target regularly for essential items but haven’t been back since they said “fuck you” to trans people. I unfortunately had to go to Walmart the other day to get a few things I ran out of. It’ll probably be online from now on.

5 Likes

I bet she’s a Republican. Republicans need a target.
I’ll see myself out…

1 Like

3 Likes

The problem is it isn’t just hyperbole. This talk spurs people to action. Political rhetoric like this creates the zeitgeist within which others feel empowered to take violent action. What might be hyperbole to you is an existential threat to a trans person like me.

But also, welcome to BB comrade! :hugs:

8 Likes