Taxpayers to cover $138.7 million bill for FBI's negligence in Nassar sex abuse case

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/23/taxpayers-to-cover-138-7-million-bill-for-fbis-negligence-in-nassar-sex-abuse-case.html

9 Likes

If you win a judgement against X, X pays. The FBI is the US government which is us. We elect our leaders. If we screw up (elect people intent on destroying the country), we pay. It would be great if we could hold individuals accountable but I am not sure that’s an option here; qualified immunity and all that.

1 Like

colin jost snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Qualified immunity isn’t even law, you know? It’s a legal doctrine fabricated whole cloth by judges with zero actual statutory basis. It’s more tradition than anything else. It makes no sense to further embed it by treating as an inevitability. Fight it every damn time.

14 Likes

Day Today GIF

6 Likes

Did you by any chance use the slightly wrong Nasser to inspire the attached picture, or am I missing something

You mean the image at the top? That’s J. Edgar Hoover, since it’s about the FBI…

7 Likes

magnets-magnets-how-do-they-work-2211883977
Fuckin’ captions, how do they work?

12 Likes

Yes, and it seems to me he is meeting Gamal Abdul nasser, who is not the nasser discussed. But what do I know. Maybe not.

1 Like

Nope. That is a Shriner from Maine, not a president from Egypt.

9 Likes

OK then!

3 Likes

As @OhHai that’s a shriner, not the former Egyptian leader… this is him…

5 Likes

Classic mistake. Would have tripped me, too, if I hadn’t watched Sons of the Desert and pestered my Grandfather with questions about the funny hats.

7 Likes

Hoover__Wed like to know a bit about you_phixr

4 Likes

Not what Gamal Abdel Nasser actually looks like?

:thinking:

6 Likes

Welcome to (first time posting on) BoingBoing!

ETA: No harm in being too welcoming. :wink:

Your “World Leaders of the 1900’s” flashcards should be enroute. Be sure to study so you never forget a fez.

And always avoid making assumptions!

4 Likes

IMG_3709

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.