Taylor Swift fans embrace COVID; calling it a "gift" from "Mother"

oh there’s no ‘positive’ news about SARS-CoV-2. the best thing any of us can do is try like hell to avoid getting it.

7 Likes

fair 'nuf, but just consider the enormous “evolutionary pressure” if one sub-strain develops out of a gazillion (“gazillion” being a rough lowball estimate) which can increase even slightly the tendency to discover more hosts. (more viability in sputum, more sputum dispersal, gain proximity to other hosts, (ironically) improve host survival times so more virus can be produced, always and forever elude any immune response, …) These things exist only to improve their ability to make copies ((resisting… making tangential political quips… grrn))

2 Likes

Given that “Brain Fog” is actually blood clots, which is going to cause the shutting off/death of random patches of the brain, I’d expect these sorts of things are going to look a lot like, well, shutting off/killing random patches of the brain.

“Don’t have big gatherings” is pretty much public health policy #1 when it comes to pandemic control… :person_facepalming:

Maybe Ms. Swift needs to be restricted to playing local pubs for regular customers only. :thinking: I’m sure the El Mocambo in Toronto could get it organized.

4 Likes

My wife and were talking about live shows.

We’ve been seeing concerts together since the late 70s, we’re very fortunate to have seen everyone we ever wanted to see.

We would have enjoyed seeing some of the summer classic rock shows and Les Miserable is coming to Detroit in December and I would have loved seeing Queen one last time but it’s just not worth the risk.

Our daughter and husband are big K Pop fans. They travel around for big shows. A few months ago they flew to Vegas for a sold out show at Allegiant Stadium, she ended up with really bad flu.

Didn’t stop them from a trip to Chicago a few weeks ago for another concert.

They’re not allowed near us after a show. Ah to be young and immortal and a little stupid.

We still love them though.

5 Likes

Covid brain fog may be blood clots. I have seen no evidence that it is for the other conditions that have brain fog as a symptom or as a side effect of treatment.

3 Likes

Personally, I think that the cost of concert tickets and travel expenses is more likey the culprit. More so in the US (ticket prices), but a lot of Americans traveled to Europe for the concerts.

Our best friend had walking pneumonia for about 5 weeks. He had plans to take his son to Germany as a graduation gift and the flight was a couple of weeks after recovering. He asked his healthcare provider if it was safe to fly. They said, “Sure? I mean we think you’ll be okay?” Not a glowing endorsement, but he didn’t want to let his son down.

He returned from the trip and a few days later he became winded. He ended up in the ICU with lung clots. It made me take a hard look at myself because I probably would have done the same thing. It taught me a big lesson.

8 Likes

Awful result! Do you know if he wore a mask while flying?

4 Likes

I think most docs would give the same answer. Basically, you are probably not contagious. But flying increases the risk of DVT’s significantly, and pulmonary inflammation increases the risk of pulmonary clots. So, how much risk are they willing to accept, and how much financial pain are they willing to take? It’s not perfect, but a really common scenario.

5 Likes

That’s how he figured it. It was a gamble.

@milliefink, he tested before the trip and wore a mask at the airports, but I’m not sure if he did on the plane. To be clear, this wasn’t Covid-19 related (he was tested at the hospital, about two days after returning home). It’s likely what @docosc mentioned. He said he got out of his seat three times in 10 hours. Between turbulence, small and blocked aisles, it’s super difficult to move around on the plane. In retrospect, he’s thinking that he should have waited more than three months before taking such a long plane ride.

I only mention this in the Covid-19/ Taylor Swift thread because when people book trips (or buy expensive concert tickets), they are not likely to forego them for health reasons. And with contagious diseases, it truly sucks that people do this.

I’m just not up to flying anymore since we can’t afford better seats. Our last flight was 18 months ago and I got stuck in window seat for over five hours, no getting up. It honestly freaked me out because I was months shy of 60, and at that age you begin to really worry about DVT.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, very thought provoking. :pensive:

4 Likes

CDC recs:

Prevent Blood Clots During Travel

Take steps to prevent blood clots.

• Stand up or walk occasionally.
    • Select an aisle seat when possible so you can walk around every 2-3 hours.
    • If traveling by car, include breaks in your travel schedule to stretch and walk around.
  • Exercise your calf muscles and stretch your legs while you’re sitting. Try these exercises next time you travel:
    • Raise and lower your heels while keeping your toes on the floor.
    • Raise and lower your toes while keeping your heels on the floor.
    • Tighten and release your leg muscles.
  • Talk to your doctor about wearing compression stockings or taking medicine before departure if you have additional risk factors for blood clots.
  • Taking aspirin to prevent blood clots when traveling is not recommended. If you take aspirin for other reasons, check with your doctor.

(Totally off topic, but I can’t help myself)

7 Likes

Is one symptom reversing cause-and-effect?

Run Away GIF

2 Likes

Wearing compression socks is really a no-brainer. Even my kids and their friends in their 20s wear them to fly.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.