Taylor Swift fans embrace COVID; calling it a "gift" from "Mother"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/24/taylor-swift-fans-embrace-covid-calling-it-a-gift-from-mother.html

10 Likes

confused gross

16 Likes

She looks much swifter than these Swifties. :confused:

6 Likes

(I hope that other bb posters will soon follow one writer’s lead by posting X screenshots instead of links.)

15 Likes

17 Likes

Might fund a study to see if among the various life threatening symptoms of COVID there is the recently evolved production of brain peptides increasing the afflicted’s attraction to large crowds

7 Likes

That seems to be more of a parasite kinda thing*, rather than viral. But covid? I long ago stopped putting limits on its shittery.

14 Likes

Do we really want Antiviral? Because this is how we get Antiviral.

3 Likes

Posted by Jennifer Sandlin.

7 Likes

Haven’t seen/heard of it - tell me more?

2 Likes

That seems to be more of a parasite kinda thing*, rather than viral.

heh - i know some virologists who would honestly be offended at the suggestion that the focus of their study - including rabies virus - lacked the capacity to affect the infected organism’s behavior, for instance, to enhance spreading capacities

6 Likes

I have heard about these “gifts” in The Elder Scrolls games

“He is the pus in the wound. Oh, proper ones curl their noses, but it’s pus that drinks foul humors and restores the blood. I worship Peryite, yes, because sometimes the world can only be cleansed by disease.”

7 Likes

“… I just don’t get it, especially as there are more than 24,000 studies of long COVID, and the consensus is that COVID is definitely not just a cold.”

It’s 2024, people are not going to let a little science negatively impact their dopamine hits

7 Likes

Debunked - I have had a cat for 4 years & I am more misanthropic now than before her arrival

12 Likes

It’s a probability thing, I guess. I have had cats all my life, and am borderline pathologically introverted. But it’s all on the bell curve somewhere.

10 Likes

A company sells pathogens harvested from media celebrities who get sick to inject into clients who want the celeb’s disease.

Is where it starts.

And then it gets weird.

17 Likes

There are definitely theories about COVID having a sort of “toxoplasmosis effect” – basically folks theorizing that COVID can increase risk-taking behaviors and encourage sociability, which obviously can help spread the virus. I think it’s still a theory at this point, but hopefully some research will come out soon exploring this possible link.

9 Likes

That’s not culty at all.

But, if I have to pick a pro-covid cult, way better that than red-hat rallies.

7 Likes

THAT would be the moment??!!

7 Likes

Not the data I’ve seen. More along the lines of increased anxiety, decreased sociability, increased aggression.

Our personalities may have changed thanks to the pandemic, study finds | CNN

COVID-19 Pandemic and Changes in Children’s Behavioral Problems: The Mediating Role of Maternal Depressive Symptoms - PMC (nih.gov)

Understanding the Impact of COVID-19 on Personality and Brain Function: A Grim Reality or a Wake-Up Call? (infectioncontroltoday.com)

Not really seeing anything terribly hopeful in all this.

5 Likes