Tech CEO in racist restaurant rant

Between-taker = Middle Man?

Prendre can also mean steal or rob, and now we are getting close to Marx’s definition of Surplus Value

8 Likes

Bless his little heart!

3 Likes

But likewise, let us remember that etymology is not meaning. If it were, “October” would be the eighth month, and a “clue” would be a ball of yarn.

2 Likes

14 Likes

“This was clearly a moment where I lost control”

That’s the thing that always surprises me about these public racist rants by those who damn well know how it can - and will - blow back on them. They know all that, but don’t have the impulse control to stop themselves. They have jobs where having more than a modicum of impulse control is kind of a job requirement, yet clearly they don’t have any at all.

Yeah, generally one must be in some extraordinary position, under some unusual stress, to “lose control” but what this incident reveals is that he didn’t ever have any control to begin with. I suppose his implication, by calling it “losing control,” is that the extreme stress he was under was simply being in proximity to an Asian family, but only the most extreme racists would accept that.

My default response to racists in California is “go back to where you came from.” It’s really appropriate here.

Or we could fire him out of a cannon into the Sun. Increasingly, with guys like this, with their open racism and insincere “apologies,” that feels like the easiest and most productive solution. I mean, he’s not going to get “better.” He’s a CEO with power over other people. He might learn to hide his racism better than attacking random people in public while being recorded, but that’s the lowest possible bar, and at best that’ll just make his racism more insidious.

9 Likes

Reminds me of when I got kicked out of Spiaggia after I started screaming “I’m going to fucking eat you, you delicious piece of shit!” at the panna cotta.

15 Likes

If I ever go off on an angry rant directed at complete strangers for no damn reason. Please encourage me to do more than apologize. I’d need some anger management and possibly deeper therapy before my behavior is going to change.

But I’d have to want to change. And I’d like to think I most people want to be better better people. Maybe I’m a pessimist but CEOs, especially tech CEOs are not interested in changing themselves. They already believe themselves to be Übermensch.

6 Likes

I will give him this: it was at least in the form of an actual apology rather than a notpology.

Why, yes, that is a pretty low bar to set. Let me correct that:

Perhaps he had one of his marketing or PR subordinates write it for him.

2 Likes

I guess I thought that went without saying. Of course they are responsible - an appeal to how you were raised, what other people are saying or doing, etc. is not a defense for terrible behavior. But it does help explain where the idea came from. If you can get the person to realize that their behavior did not “naturally” emerge from a vacuum, it’s easier for them to realize and also understand that they are wrong. In other words, when they see that it’s not some internalized “fact” that they have realized by independently looking at the world, it’s easier to change it.

“You didn’t know any better - but now you do. Go forth and sin no more…”

2 Likes

Yeah right? Dude you are the inequality those around you face.

6 Likes

Seems the most likely, given the screenshots I’ve seen of him heaping more racist abuse on people responding to this event on social media. Hell, they may have done it without his direction or permission, even.

2 Likes

I hope the waitron unit didn’t suffer any repercussions from her defense of the abusees. (‘Waitron unit’ is a term a friend invented to describe his role waiting tables at Pizza Hut, where the employees were largely interchangeable and expendable.)

5 Likes

Well, I hope this restaurant treats its servers better than that. It’s a job someone needs to do if we want to pay to have people bring food to us at a table, and in a place that does treat its employees well, it can even be a good and enjoyable job.

12 Likes

I’m enough of an optimist (and from the follow-up I suspect justified) to hope said waitperson got a major tip in appreciation – maybe even some serious praise for “upholding our values.”

7 Likes

Looks like there was someone dining with him who left their own credit card to split the meal. I am pretty sure he was not getting laid that night.

Then taking back the tip, how low can you go?

3 Likes

A lot of Brits, especially racists and the older generation, refer to themselves as expats so it won’t cross his mind that he’s an immigrant himself. A brilliant example of this way of thinking came about after the UK voted to leave the EU, with British people living in Spain saying they voted leave because of all the immigrants in the UK.

10 Likes

Please don’t. We have enough racist scumbags to deal with at the moment.

2 Likes

I saw another article where he got his US citizenship a few years ago. So, like it or not we’re stuck with him.

You don’t have to accept delivery- we’ll just send him in a box without a return address. He’ll be stuck in the post office lost and found forever.

10 Likes

He has to “work hard to understand…”

Is it hard word not to call someone an Asian POS? It shouldn’t be.
I hate these insincere apologies that talk about doing better. The apology is just an attempt to make himself like a good person doing his best which is obvious crap.

3 Likes