Tech CEO in racist restaurant rant

I would set aside Trump’s role in fanning the flames. I’d hate for that to become the excuse for a CEO in Silicon Valley to be a racist dirtbag. Their website is effectively down. If I had better photoshop skills I’d take their current homepage and write out his crappy apology on the code screen:

versus yesterday:

There’s no apology that could change anyone’s perception of this man. Personally, I think they should rebrand as “Soild8.”

Unfortunately other companies with the same name are also getting trashed.

Big hearts for this.

And there have been a spate of incidents in Northern California against Asians. I haven’t personally seen people blaming asians in my own circles (multi racial, predominantly white but they also all know I have asian family (who incidentally hate China)). But if I see this blame china stuff from people I know, I intend to ask if they’re aware that the second, stronger strain of Covid-19 now blazing through the southern US states evolved in Italy. Are we going to start bashing Italian Americans too? Then who? What shall we do when WASP Covid unbelievers birth yet another, more virulent strain?

On an upbeat note, I LOVED the employee’s handling of it.

3 Likes

Since a racist believes they’re better than most other people, they also believe they enrich each nation they choose to visit by their mere presence. Of course they don’t consider themselves immigrants.

3 Likes

Or, some routing info gets changed on the package and he winds up in Yakutsk in mid-February.

Yes, that’s a more accurate interpretation.
Original an “entrepreneur” is a trader, he buy and resale merchandise for an uncertain profit, he is in-between two merchants.

1 Like

Imagine if you were an investor in this company. Wouldn’t you demand this guy be terminated immediately? How could you feel confident in his ability to run the company, when the entire nation witnessed what comes off like a psychotic break in the restaurant (especially in light of his apology, which seems to indicate this behavior is inconsistent with his own worldview)?

I guess we’re not supposed to speculate about mental conditions here on the board, so @orenwolf may nix this post.

Lofthouse being from the UK is a bit surprising in this event - but he sure was Brexited out of that restaurant - and now he’ll be Brexited out of his career.

I’d append “and/or hire underpaid H-1B labor,” but otherwise that sounds depressingly familiar.

3 Likes

Tramp resorts add a service fee to food bills. Eaters think that goes to the waitron units. Wrong. Tramp steals tips from his wait staff. That should be a signal.

Back to the OP. We skipped that particular restaurant when we last drove through Carmel Valley. IIRC the parking lot was filled with elite cars and our Kia didn’t fit in. The taco place down the road was great.

1 Like

The reason for the “don’t speculate on mental state” rule is because assholes exist. Not only do you not have to be mentally unstable to just have a bad day and say what you really think out loud, but also, there’s no need to stigmatize people actually living with mental illness by lumping bad actors in with them (which creates the infrerence that they, too, should be expected to commit asshole actions).

There’s just as much of a chance that he got caught saying this stuff and has to backpedal to save his reputation now as anything else, and it’s unfair to those who actually live with these diseases to default to “bad behaviour = obvious mental issues.”

17 Likes

What did Somalia do to deserve that?

4 Likes

His family has now chimed in about this.

3 Likes

Racist CEO gives himself PR problem.
Family chimes in: “He has a terrible drug problem, too!”

Boy, if he stays CEO after all this…

4 Likes

It’s his own consultancy so there’s no one to fire him.

4 Likes

I’ve read on (unconfirmed) social media that’s it’s a pretty rinky dink operation too. And so “tech CEO” is pretty much a misnomer.

6 Likes

I’ve been looking for a new landing spot for awhile, so I guess I’m a tech CEO too. But now the phrase is tarnished.

2 Likes

I guess if it’s small enough, he can’t quietly give himself a different title and have someone else be the public face while [pretending to be] CEO.

The flip side of “I can’t be fired, I’m my own boss!” is “The company is inextricably linked to me, so if I’m publicly toxic, so is my whole business…”

2 Likes

I was just thinking about what makes the ugly language erupt. In particular, I can think of two incidents from my life where people have used unexpectedly racist language - once by a guy who’d just been beaten up, once by a couple of girls who’d narrowly avoided being raped. It also makes me think of my daughter being called a “fat bitch” by a kid in primary school when she’s actually almost painfully thin. Sometimes people just pick up whatever weapon society has left lying around.

Better stop there - I don’t want to sound like I’m saying racism isn’t real. Just that how we use language can be interesting.

1 Like

The Daily Mail is probably more racist than this arsehole CEO, and a known fabricator of stories. Is there another source?

8 Likes

Acknowledging this. I had poked around and just did so again. Unfortunately all I can find then also quotes from the same interview she did with Daily Mail.

2 Likes

That’s putting it mildly.

3 Likes