Ted Cruz sore that NY Times won't let him cheat his way onto best-seller list

[Read the post]

1 Like

I guess that the freedom to try to mislead best seller lists by using your money to get people to buy lots of copies is enshrined in the Constitution, or Conservatives wouldn’t support it owing to their belief in honesty and fair dealing.

9 Likes

But he’s white! And from Texas!! He should be allowed to game the system!!!

The entire American Conservative movement is based on the illusion of success. Ever notice the failing economic business models of the past 50 years from the “business” party?

4 Likes

In his defense, he didn’t explicitly state that now is a time for truth.

8 Likes

His campaign slogan should be : “Ted Cruz- Ugly on the outside, ugly on the inside.”

1 Like

Isn’t this how “Dianetics” made it onto the best seller list, thousands of Scientologists bought multiple copies?

Cruz is in “good company” there.

5 Likes

Here’s How You Buy Your Way Onto The New York Times Bestsellers List

1 Like

Isn’t this just standard marketing practice?
Bulk buy the book, either directly or through taskrabbits.
Purchase Twitter followers.
Hire seat fillers at rallies.
Spam various media outlets through ghost written letters to the editor and with surrogates well schooled in the current talking points.

Eventually, this becomes real. Fake 'till you make it, as they say.

4 Likes

Cruz {Canadian Teabagger} is the perfect example of how the GOP promotes ignorance as a virtue. That is how they produce a coalition of religious zealots and the economically illiterate.

This helps them to achieve their objectives [by the way] of getting Americans to vote against their own interests. Which further widens the gap between rich and poor.

2 Likes

Yup, along with other Hubbard books. Here’s an LA Times article from 1990 breaking it down. One excerpt:

But apparently Hubbard’s followers have not trusted sales of his books entirely to the fickle winds of the marketplace.

Sheldon McArthur, former manager of B. Dalton Booksellers on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, said, “Whenever the sales seem to slacken and a (Hubbard) book goes off the bestsellers list, give it a week and we’ll get these people coming in buying 50 to 100 to 200 copies at a crack–cash only.”

2 Likes

Skipping over the fact that conservatives (among others) are pretty much always furious with the NYT, and with the understanding that I wholeheartedly believe conservatives would be furious about this particular thing, a cite here would be good if only for the “Shocked! SHOCKED!” lulz.

2 Likes

Theodore just got slapped by the invisible hand. I like irony.

3 Likes

Also, as I recall, the Left Behind books used to appear on the NYT list with an asterisk indicating that a large portion of the sales were bulk purchases.

2 Likes

If only Ted Cruz had any idea what a joke he is…

1 Like

Dying is a excellent way to increase book sales.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.