Teenage Kenosha shooter spotted at a bar after entering a "not guilty" plea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/09/teenage-kenosha-shooter-spotted-at-a-bar-after-entering-a-not-guilty-plea.html

6 Likes

dontworry-officer-im-white-no-worries-heres-my-white-privilege-6573263

40 Likes

Now this is a FIB.

3 Likes

16 Likes

At what point does his mom become an accomplice?

18 Likes

AFAIK, “no alcohol” is just a condition applied to bail for certain offenses, mainly assaults, drug offenses, and DUI.

10 Likes

I don’t even think they bother in those cases if you’re a child.

10 Likes

Those cards literally exist:

25 Likes

This idiot has a hard but workable self-defense claim, but he needs to play it very carefully. If this kind of public stupidity isn’t giving his lawyers nightmares, he’s got lousy lawyers.

Also, Wisconsin has weird liquor laws which I’m not going to look up, but there are use cases where you can drink in bars underage so that in itself isn’t necessarily a problem.

Didn’t she drive him across state lines to the site where he killed those people? In my completely not a lawyer mind, she’s already an accomplice.

8 Likes

I suppose the best way to address the “moral dilemma” imposed on cops when they deal with PBA card-carriers is to simply prohibit the very existence of such cards. Unfortunately, those in a position to propose and push through the prohibition really need the votes – and those voters carry guns.

6 Likes

This case is one time I’d be happy to receive a jury duty summons.

9 Likes

It’s legal to drink in a bar in Wisconsin with your parent. Wisconsin liquor laws are very lax.

3 Likes

He killed people with her gun. She should already be an accomplice.

I don’t understand that. Sure, for the 2nd set of shootings, it could be argued (badly), but I don’t see how the first shooting, where he was “defending property” against state law could fall under any self-defense statute.

17 Likes

last state to go to 21 after feds threatened highway funds. 1986 I think. There was a bar next to my high school that was basically for seniors at lunch break until then.

3 Likes

I thought a friend had bought the gun for him. Sadly, too many of these situations for me to keep them all straight.

4 Likes

We used to call the IL/WI line the “blood border” before they raised the legal drinking age to 21 since 18 yr olds would drive up to get drunk and then crash on the way home.

5 Likes

Probably he’s allowed to cross state lines for self-defense purposes.

5 Likes

They also have infinite DUI’s without any license or insurance removal. The logic is they’d rather you be in the system, licensed and with liability insurance, than driving without either if/when you get into another accident. Anecdotally, people with that many DUI’s don’t let pesky little pieces of plastic and paper stop them from driving.

4 Likes

The terms of his bail probably include a “do not commit any crimes while under bail” clause, so he will probably be awaiting trial in jail from now on. That is, if there is any justice in the world.

2 Likes