Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle suit from 1993 movie hits the auction block

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/01/decomposing-latex-suit-from-19.html

1 Like

giphy%20(8)

11 Likes

This would make a profoundly horrifying Halloween costume.

8 Likes

That foam will disintegrate into a million pieces upon wearing.

2 Likes

Geez. Henson’s Creature Shop did the previous two films. This was made by Eric Allard’s ALLFX team - the same folks who built Johnny 5 for the Short Circuit films. I was scheduled to work on it (Donatello) but things got complicated and I ended up working on Dinosaurs instead (the better gig). My buddy, Gord Robertson (with whom I worked on Fraggle and Short Circuit II) was one of the animatronic puppeteers for this. Every time something like this shows up I’m always amazed they’re still relatively intact.

20 Likes

Hey, if you’re looking for old, broken down classics for 5000 pounds, I have an old Whirlpool washing machine out back that’s suffered some substantial breakdown…

7 Likes

And if you saw that happen to a movie artefact, honestly, wouldn’t you be horrified?

3 Likes

This one?

8 Likes

As long as it’s not a laundry-folding machine.

2 Likes

I never knew there was a TMNT III.

2 Likes

It’s really… something. I saw it a few times as a kid and from what i vaguely remember it was just ok though if i watched it now its probably worse than i remember. The one thing that does stick out in my mind is a scene where the turtles make pizza in feudal Japan, because pizza.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Radical brah!

1 Like

On his YouTube videos and podcasts, Adam Savage frequently points out that movie props are built just good enough and no better.

5 Likes

Nightmare fuel.

I really liked the first movie, but man, those props were not made to last forever. Eh… maybe we should do what we do with old flags, and retire them in a fire.

I’d hate to have to deal with the fumes of that fire.

1 Like

2 Likes

vad2fjilv7331

2 Likes

Previous owner: