Rotting Leonardo suit from 1990s Ninja Turtles movie fails to sell at auction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/rotting-leonardo-suit-from-199.html

2 Likes

A wonderful addition to any nursery. Just threaten to bring it out if the kids misbehave.

21 Likes

Bwahahahahahahahah!!!

5 Likes

Apply the Crowley method of gardening to raising children ?
Might be tricky around puberty.

19 Likes

Meth…not even once

9 Likes

Surprising, what with all the publicity it has gotten.

I suppose no one wanted to gamble on spending a few hundred bucks doing something about those horrifying lips/teeth before publicizing it.

1 Like

I’m holding out for the Raphael suit.

2 Likes

If this is what a suit from the third TMNT film looks like, the suits from the first must be truly horrific.

3 Likes

I’d be all about buying this if I were a serial killer.

3 Likes

It kind of looks like an ice mummy from the Franklin Expedition

8 Likes

Rotting latex smells bad. This suit stinks in other ways, too.

4 Likes

Henson did the first two movies, so chances are they’re all properly looked after. The third movie was the big-budget bomb that killed the franchise for 15 years, which might have something to do with this being an abandoned nightmare puppet.

I bet the real money is in the live tour costumes, which were made for action, a platonic hellform of cartoon nostalgia, irony and the kind of gross yet subversive sexualization that the internet made impossible to get away with.

Watch donatello dance here, for perhaps a few thousand tween boys.

donatello

13 Likes

You can’t fool me with a '90s denim jacket. You cheapskates couldn’t even get a shell costume for the dancers.

I also like how the sexy dancing was too much for the kids so they had to put a sweater over his butt instead of rethinking the entire concept from the top.

7 Likes

Well that is a little sad, but man, that suit is not looking good. It’s like got a 5 Nights at Freddy’s vibe.

I am not sure you could even fix it. Maybe use it as a template to recreate it - and reuse the hard parts?

4 Likes

This story has inspired comparisons to poor Hoggle, who famously turned up at a museum of lost luggage.
http://www.sowatzka.com/content/gary-restores-hoggle

You might expect something that didn’t encounter a shipping mishap to fare better, though I seem to recall reading that the original Skeksis puppets from The Dark Crystal degraded well beyond the point of presentability.

3 Likes

Holy hell, that face is going to give me nightmares for years dude

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible to “look after” foam latex in a way that prevents it from degrading after 20 years. It’s an inherent hazard of the material. If you’re going to sell props from your movie or TV series you need to do it right away before they turn into cryptkeeper looking monstrosities.

5 Likes

FragrantBogusHoopoe-max-1mb

11 Likes

My mom has a “froggy the gremlin” rubber toy from the 50s. He’s gotten a bit hard and fragile but he’s still in one piece. Of course that’s sort of a solid latex rubber. I don’t know anything about foam latex. I do know that leaving latex exposed to UV rays kills it super fast. I had a couple rubber puppets in the 90s and my friend left one in a window one summer and it’s face practically melted away. I have another made at the sameness time that is still in one piece although maybe a little less flexible than when new… I guess I’m theorizing that you can’t stop the decay but you can protect it from things that speed it up maybe…

In case you’re wondering what the heck froggy the gremlin is, here’s a toy just like my mom’s on eBay and a link to a video of his tv persona. image|437x500

Next auction:

(And yeah, it doesn’t look like that after “restoration,” but it doesn’t much resemble its original state, either…)

12 Likes