Teens are filling Tiktok with memes deploring #Life360, a parenting app that tracks teens

We used to go “plinking” with .22s on Saturdays. It was considered part of growing up, in the South anyway. Might get you killed by a cop nowadays.

1 Like

Strangers things reminded me that packs of kids roaming around with no set agenda or adult supervision used to be default after school and weekend behaviour when nothing was planned and you’d escaped chores.

How do kids get home from school where you live? Is there an exemption for walking home?

2 Likes

“Busted!”

1 Like

As with? This is stalkerware- the only thing that separates the two is the public acceptability of marketing invasive surveillance tools to helicopter parents as opposed to domestic abusers. The actual technology is the same.

If parents don’t like having the same label applied to them, the solution is in their hands.

As O’Brien passed the telescreen a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.
Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.
‘You can turn it off!’ he said.
‘Yes,’ said O’Brien, ‘we can turn it off. We have that privilege.’

5 Likes

Why don’t they just use ankle monitors?

2 Likes

The actual law is

"1. A person who, having the lawful care or charge of a child under 12 years, leaves the child for an unreasonable time without making reasonable provision for the supervision and care of the child during that time commits a misdemeanour. Maximum penalty - 3 years’ imprisonment.

1. Whether the time is unreasonable depends on all the relevant circumstances."

So 10 years olds can get away with walking to/from school if it’s a short distance - it’s completely subjective tho if a cop is feeling like being dickish. Kids generally get driven to school, you don’t see packs of kids riding/walking to school anymore.

I’d say this is true of me and almost everyone I grew up with, and yet, I only had two friends who died as teenagers, both in cars, so all the non-car stuff must not actually be as dangerous as it seems, in hindsight.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t take the risks now as an adult that I took when I was 14.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.