Teens think Vice is almost as cool as People Magazine

Congratulations - you seem to have co-invented normcore :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As the uncle of two teenagers, I guarantee that they don’t think of Google or YouTube as “cool”. They’re utilities. YouTube isn’t “cool” for being a place to get videos any more than a grocery store is “cool” for being a place to get Doritos.

And of the two, one is obsessed with Sunglass Hut and the other’s obsessed with Zara, so it really depends on the teenager.

2 Likes

Rapey hipsters?

1 Like

RESEARCHER lifts up card saying “GOOGLE”

RESEARCHER: “Is this brand cool?”

CHILD looks at Google logo on RESEARCHER’s shirt.

CHILD: "Uh, sure. "

10 Likes

It seems pretty clear that the teens did not come up with any of these categories brands but were merely indicating how familiar they were with them and how “cool” they seemed – whatever cool means.

What I’m curious to know is how/why these particular brands were selected. It’s kind of a strange assortment. I mean, Vice, People, WSJ… is not really an obvious assortment of print media. Are they just brands that are offering Google money to find out how they appear to this demographic?

4 Likes

The real scoop seems to be to the extent that Vice sucks, (according to bitchy old BoingBoing readers who would be Vice’s main demographic) or if it indeed sucks at all.

1 Like

Um. What kind of old grandparent-pants graph paper is that?

All the cool kids use isometric graph paper.

7 Likes

Yeah, I can see how they’d prefer that. That other stuff is plainly for squares.
:dark_sunglasses: :sunglasses:

9 Likes

3 Likes

Pff, Hipster.

Finally! I was fishing for a square joke…

3 Likes

7 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.