Tennessee Republicans end vaccine outreach to teens

There are several jokes I could make here, but instead I’ll just say this is perhaps the lamest, weakest justification one could possibly make. They might as well say “the postcards might give children bad dreams, scarring them for life.”

I suspect the GQP is embracing the anti-vaxx idea to appease the very morons they’ve been curating for decades. “Studies show our base thinks vaccines have microchips in them. So to play to our base we cannot be in favor of vaccines at all anymore.”

11 Likes

Interesting perspective and… strangely obvious once pointed out. Every broadcast is a gun fired out the window. “Report on that.” It makes sense.

4 Likes

Yeah, but the thinking is that the younger demographic votes liberal, so if they can encourage less childhood survival, they might be able to stay in office.

7 Likes

The same party who called COVID a hoax, refused to take measures to stop it, instigated a culture war by refusing to wear face masks and recommended that Americans inject Clorox Bleach as a cure, now says that they are concerned about people getting a vaccine. The GQP in Tennessee just doesn’t have the same vaccine stock portfolio as 'ol Mitch McRussia it seems.

13 Likes

"But to me, death is not-
Death is not a fearful thing, it’s living that’s treacherous

“Do not be afraid to die
If these people land out here
They’ll torture some of our children here, they’ll torture our people
They’ll torture our seniors, we cannot allow this”

-Jim Jones, Tennessee Legislator

2 Likes

Additionally, the health department will take steps to ensure it no longer sends postcards or other notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccines.

That… seems like a violation of medical ethics, there.

Not so much “now” as simultaneously. The party as a whole is still calling covid a hoax, shutting down vaccination efforts, claiming the vaccine is dangerous and pushing alternative treatments that don’t work, while at the same time attacking Biden for “failing” to get people vaccinated. You even have individuals like Marjorie Taylor Greene who celebrated Trump for making the vaccine - and attacked others she felt weren’t giving him enough credit for the vaccine - who is also saying the vaccine is deadly. Cognitive dissonance up the wazoo.

11 Likes

Yeah. If the GOP cares about child wellbeing, or human wellbeing, they ought to act like it.

Since they’ve done basically nothing to improve human wellbeing in the course of their entire history as a party, we can conclusively say: the GOP is bad for humanity.

6 Likes

Republicans have always been way into human sacrifice.

They’re the official party of christianity after all.

2 Likes

I kind of miss that brief moment when Republicans were claiming that the vaccines were a modern miracle made possible only through their god-king’s benevolent genius.

7 Likes

More accurate, I think, to talk of the absence of cognitive dissonance.

Back in the Good Old Days of the last century, people would experience cognitive dissonance when they said A while doing anti-A, and they felt obliged to change either their speech or their actions (or at least make some token excuse for the contradiction). These days… nothing.

3 Likes

Its funny you bring up Jim Jones, because Tucker Carlson compared the door-to-door vaccination outreach programs to the cyanide injections forced upon Jim Jones disciples in Jonestown

You cannot make this up.

2 Likes

So I’m guessing for the true believers its something along the lines of “if parents want their children to get vaccines they’ll tell them to, the gov’t shouldn’t be talking to children, this is a FAMILY ISSUE™” and the more cynical are on that “Joe Biden set a vaccine target. don’t let him hit it.” Hence the cheering when the vaccine targets came in low…

5 Likes

I suppose that’s what happens when one doesn’t believe either of the contradictory statements one’s making…

3 Likes

What I’m wondering is how long until some of these republican legislatures (or governor executive actions) create restrictions that make it extremely difficult for people to get the vaccine. Requirements for needing hard-to-get (or not existing) IDs, “waiting” periods, limits on who can administer the vaccine (no more getting vaccinated at a free clinic, or at a local pharmacy, requiring an expensive doctors appointment, or hospital visit, etc). Or outright make it illegal to administer…

I’m actually quite surprised that we haven’t seen laws imposing fines for wearing masks, or making mask wearing a criminal infraction.

8 Likes

The funeral industry cartel might disagree.

Also, think of all that locked-up Boomer money that’s now shaking loose.

5 Likes

Actually, in some jurisdictions, mask wearing in public is a crime. Anti-mask law - Wikipedia has quite a few listed. In theory, in those locations, if a cop decides you are trying to hide your identiy instead of just not dying he can arrest you. I expect that certain jurisdictions are going to be all draconian about that as soon as they can justify it to themselves.

5 Likes

Yeah. When all the boomers die, vulture capitalists can come in and buy up all their houses dirt cheap, after the boomers run up multi hundred thousand dollar end-of-life-care costs. Their estates won’t be able to pay all that debt so all their houses will get sold off to banks and hedge funds.

9 Likes

Cross-posting from the Covid thread.

11 Likes

The fired vaccine chief’s statement:

6 Likes

This appalling assault on Tennesseans’ health, couple with the Texas free-for-all where women seeking abortion can be charged by anybody, represents the fully anti-democratic, anti-civil society worldview of the RepugliKKKlan QParty.

And - the real problem with all of this - is they are proud of it.

This is a damned shame, America. We have done, can do, and deserve so much better.

3 Likes