Terror attack in Sydney, Oz

Loonies holding hostages at gunpoint in a Sydney cafe. :frowning:

Yeah, just saw this :frowning:

For fuck’s sake.

12 Likes

Stay classy, Uber.

3 Likes

i laugh only because i would be spending all my time crying if i didn’t.

3 Likes

That is, well, wow.

1 Like

You can watch live Australian TV news coverage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvzpSvyyZis

My prediction… that belongs better here rather than on twitter since there’s next to no actual information available (cops are, rightfully so, being very hush hush):

Dude has what he’s claiming is a bomb and is armed with a gun. Let’s see.

This is purely my speculation.

*also it’s worth pointing out that this thread should probably be renamed to “siege situation in Sydney” since no actual attack has taken place so far.

Just read through the Sydney Morning Herald’s feed. I could feel my heart crumpling up. Apparently the perpetrator was a crank who was apparently doing WBC types of nastygrams to the families of KIA soldiers.

Also from the SMH

Monis is currently on bail in relation two separate, serious cases. He was charged in November 2013 with being an accessory before and after the fact to the murder of his ex-wife Noleen Hayson Pal.Ms Pal was stabbed and set alight in a Werrington apartment block. Droudis [Monis' current partner]1 has been charged with the murder. And then in April this year, Monis was charged by sex crimes squad detectives with the indecent and sexual assault of a woman in western Sydney in 2002. Police allege that Monis was a self-proclaimed "spiritual healer" who operated out of premises on Station Street at Wentworthville. News of his arrest prompted more victims to come forward and Monis was hit with an additional 40 charges in October. It is alleged that Monis placed ads in local newspapers offering "spiritual consultation".He claimed to be an expert in astrology, numerology, meditation and black magic.
1. The brackets are mine, for clarification on who Droudis is.

Which is astounding. A guy with a record (he was convicted of harassment for those nastygrams) and charged simultaneously as an accessory to his ex-wife’s murder as well as scores of sex abuse allegations is let out on bail? That seems like grounds for not allowing bail at all in his case.

That’s a mindboggling number of offenses to be charged with and let off on bail. It almost seems like that kind of story you see in rural towns in the US: “local troublemaker raises stink, police ignore chronic pain in the ass” except this time the pain in the ass turned out to be ass cancer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 796 days. New replies are no longer allowed.