Terrorist who murdered Jo Cox shouts: "Death to traitors" in court

You must be new here. Welcome to Boing Boing!

8 Likes

I take your point. Perhaps a more descriptive term would be the Frightened White Wing.

4 Likes

No, not even vaguely. I’m extremely aware of Cory’s fondness for hyperbole. :wink:

7 Likes

Not trying either to condemn or to defend @doctorow’s hyperbole, but I always keep in mind that Cory’s a polemicist, not a journalist.

5 Likes

Of course it is sarcasm, along with a bit of snark I hear when something horrible happens in the US and the UK wonders why we can’t act more civilized.

2 Likes

White fright wing?

2 Likes

How do Wales and Scotland (and Northern Ireland?) feel about this? Is this a completely daft question?

1 Like

I’m still hoping we get the Brexit. They’ll realize the benefits of the EU after losing them. Then in 10 years or so when they’ll apply for membership again without any special treatment we hopefully get a UK that is productive and doesn’t try to sabotage the whole thing from within. The whole “I’m a special snowflake” behavior is grating on our collective nerves

5 Likes

I would guess that right now Wales and Northern Ireland are dazzled by the rare possibility of making it out of the group stage in Euro 2016.

Evidently Gibralter is 90% in favor of staying in, not because they love Europe so much but because they’re afraid that the day after a vote to leave, Spain will invade.

2 Likes

I’m sure everything will go back to the good old English culture we all love:

3 Likes

If Britain does vote Brexit, I can only hope you are right. The increasing acceptance of fascist ideas by the right here makes me scared we won’t get that. I can’t help think of the last days of the League of Nations, and the British myth that a fascist government can’t happen here.

It is likely that we end up collapse of the (British) union, and Scotland and maybe Wales ask to remain in the EU. What happens after that, I don’t know. It scares me though.

Personally, I’ll become either a Scottish or German citizen after a vote for Brexit that I hope doesn’t happen.

11 Likes

Everyone except the English are majority remain.

Brexit would guarantee Scottish independence, royally fuck the Northern Irish who’d end up with a proper border with Ireland and an England who don’t give a shit about them, and maybe Wales would start pushing for more than Welsh road signs.

@FFabian is right, England will want back in before too long, and the terms will be worse.

8 Likes

And Northern Ireland. If GB leaves the EU, the men of violence will say - rightly - that the Good Friday agreement has been broken. Sinn FĂ©in are already making noises about an all-Ireland referendum on the status of Northern Ireland.

The idea of England and Wales being completely surrounded by EU is amusing, like Switzerland but, sadly, without the Swiss who make Switzerland work.

2 Likes

Since the Southern Poverty Law Center says on its website

“According to records obtained by the Southern Poverty Law Center Mair was a dedicated supporter of the National Alliance (NA), the once premier neo-Nazi organization in the United States, for decades. Mair purchased a manual from the NA in 1999 that included instructions on how to build a pistol.”

it would seem that yes, at least one US organisation is implicated.

6 Likes

Nah, screw going begging back to Europe if we leave. Instead, lets take the whole country and go visit our old colonies. I’m sure Jamaica will be overjoyed to see the UK back again. And Australia would totally let us sleep on their sofa right?

2 Likes

“Fright wing”?

1 Like

Is a scottish or NI independence truly realistic? The failed scottish referendum was just two years ago. Is the wish to remain in the EU really greater than staying in the UK. Voters prefer the status quo. The UK is an stronger, more entrenched status quo than the EU.

You also have to factor in the Scot’s desire to piss off England in general and the loonier wing of the Tories in particular.

3 Likes

Nah, you guys made it hard for us to pop over and bartend for a year, you’re on your own :wink:

2 Likes

Who’s in the non-loony wing?

3 Likes