Tesla adds farting mode and other Easter eggs in latest firmware update

And the sound should only come out of the speaker nearest to the victim.

1 Like

Buy a Tesla, and drive like an old fart?

3 Likes

While eating a burger, drinking coffee, talking on the phone and putting on makeup.

1 Like

And this is why Easter eggs are largely nonexistent in modern software. Imagine if that cutesy hidden functionality accidentally introduced a security bug? How would you explain that to customers? “Oh, sorry your car’s brake system failed and somebody got killed, but at least you got some funny fart noises out of it.”

7 Likes

Surprised to read the hate here. Strikes me as pretty obviously just a love note from the manufacturer to say “we’re thinking of you and always trying to come up with cool stuff”. Easily ignored, and until one of their goofy updates negatively impacts the actual driving experience, nothing to complain about. I’m still patiently waiting for a similar update for my 1993 Taurus…

1 Like

1 Like

"Madam, of course it is tragic that the Easter Egg inside the latest software update was responsible for the death of your husband, however how is it not cool that his pacemaker was tapping out Jingle Bells at the time of his passing, 1200AM Christmas Eve?"

7 Likes

You clearly don’t understand all the abuse cases.

The updates Bricklined my Tesla!

3 Likes

I guess the way I phrased it is a little confusing. I’m not concerned that the firmware will update while the car is in motion. I’m concerned that there is constant tinkering with the car’s operating system, adding and removing and modifying features. Hopefully there’s a super-robust QA system, but the more tinkering you do, the more likely something slips through.

It also seems like the ability to push constant updates means there’s no pressure to ever create a finished, bug-free product. “We’ll fix that in the next update.”

4 Likes

If you’re not at that point in your relationship, it’s still just a tryst.

1 Like

Egg farts are the worst.

1 Like

From what I’ve read about Tesla’s development process and approaches to security, I wouldn’t put too much faith in that.

4 Likes

I do understand the abuse cases for medical devices, which are as critical if not more so than electric vehicles. It all depends on how you handle the security and safety of the communications and firmware of the device. Some pacemaker companies haven’t had a good track record (St. Jude Medical/Abbott & Medtronic, as Cory has reported) and others have a strong one (Boston Scientific and Biotronik).

Unfortunately, Tesla hasn’t been a beacon of responsibility in that regard, but at the same time they also haven’t had a malevolent breach. Yet. My opinion is that they need to be better about it, but the fundamental structure of having over-the-air updates isn’t unavoidably bad.

1 Like

This is an incredibly naive view of how car manufacturing (and most product releases) are done. The car gets released on it’s launch date, set years ahead of time, unless it is catastrophically unready for release. That is true across the industry, with maybe one or two exceptions (I could see Porsche holding off on a release, and truthfully telling their customers, “It’s not ready.”).

The status quo is that cars get released with bugs, even known bugs, that are either never corrected or corrected later via recall when enough people complain about them.

Just google “vehicle software recall” for fun.

3 Likes

This is true of all software of course, I can’t remember the last time I got a bug free game on release day. Or a month without an OS update. Bugs, bugs everywhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.