Tesla layoffs hit its diversity and inclusivity programs

Originally published at: Tesla layoffs hit its diversity and inclusivity programs | Boing Boing

8 Likes

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

25 Likes

Were these programs created before or after all the lawsuits?

18 Likes

I dunno, I used to be the Senior Engineer in charge of proper indentation and whitespace. That impacted 100% of our codebase, a huge impact.

19 Likes

There are definitely exceptions to that. In this instance if this was the individual who coined the term “full self-driving” (and I doubt that it was) then they would totally deserve to get fired. And jailed, probably.

4 Likes

In my experience, that’s certainly what every programmer thinks their title is…

14 Likes

I think the point was to indicate the person was a trusted, valued, senior engineer (which is also why they mentioned the person had been promoted three times in four years). The firing was politically motivated, not because of the job they were doing.

12 Likes

Unless it’s naming conventions for the users (so multiple languages, etc); it is a UI team position after all.

4 Likes

Elon Musk making several comments about what he calls “the woke mind virus,” which he believes is “destroying civilization.”

I shudder to think of the particulars of whatever type of civilization Elon “I name my cars like a fourth-grade boy” Musk prefers. Eugh.

2 Likes

Musk’s ex starts dating a trans woman and his daughter is changing her name after transitioning and says she no longer wishes to be related to him because of how he treats trans people.

Sad billionaire is acting out like a child.

16 Likes

8 Likes

I was on the committee that developed naming standards used by tens of thousands of software engineers at a large software company. Changing names of things in the code breaks patches, and in this web-deployed world, basically all development is released as server patches. There are many other dependencies. Bad names last forever. Management never prioritizes code cleanup.

11 Likes

Whitespace very important in Python. The method for achieving proper indentation just one of the many religious wars in computer science.

1 Like

:poop:
Why would any decent, informed person expect better from Musk?

1 Like

Well, yes, as grandma said, always play to your strengths.

1 Like

I love his Father’s Day gift.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.